[GPlates-discuss] plotting relative plate velocities

Christoph v.Hagke christoph.vonhagke at emr.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Sep 19 17:48:47 AEST 2016

Hi all,

I used the Zahirovic et al. model to extract plate velocities. I tried
to create plots with relative plate movements, and followed the
instructions from the tutorial. It worked mostly well, however I came
across a couple of points:

Here my first plot, it shows convergence of Arabia and Eurasia. (It's
based on an India-Eurasia-Convergence plot Sabin was kind enough to
share, and which I could reproduce, too)

Looks great, but has these two excursions at 27 & 16 Ma, which I find
geologically difficult. Is this an artifact? How would you deal with it?

Second, I tried to do the same plot for Arabia and India. Unfortunately
sth went wrong here, and in the .xy export files it shows the wrong
plate IDs. I tried it several times, but don't get it to work. Any idea
is appreciated. Thanks and cheers,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph von HAGKE
Assistant Professor

Institute of Structural Geology, Tectonics and Geomechanics
RWTH Aachen University, Lochnerstraße 4-20, 52056 Aachen, Germany

Ph.: +49 241 80 98443