[GPlates-discuss] Cross-overs in v2.0

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Wed Nov 30 21:00:43 AEDT 2016

Hi Lester,

Eventually when pyGPlates is embedded in GPlates (as opposed to an external Python library) there will be a button that allows the user to fix all cross-overs in a rotation layer.

It will essentially use the existing pyGPlates function 'synchronise_crossovers()':

http://www.gplates.org/docs/pygplates/generated/pygplates.synchronise_crossovers.html

...which iteratively adjusts all crossovers until they're synchronised.

Attached is a script (really just a thin command-line wrapper around the above function) for fixing crossovers.

To see the command-line options type "python fix_crossovers.py --help".

An example usage is "python fix_crossovers.py -x -c 0.01 -- rotations1.rot rotations2.rot".
The "0.01" is a threshold (in degrees) - where the old and young rotations at a crossover are only fixed if their rotation (latitude, longitude or angle) differ by more than this. This is useful since some PLATES rotation files are only accurate to 2 decimal places.

Regards,
John