[GPlates-discuss] Adjust time step used to calculate displayed velocity fields?

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Fri Mar 18 15:24:27 AEDT 2016

Hi Jonny,

I will look into adding a velocity delta-time parameter in the next GPlates release (currently it is hardwired to 1My).

In the meantime you can use pygplates ( http://www.gplates.org/news.html#pygplates_rev12 ) to do the calculations (with adjustable delta-time) - see:

http://www.gplates.org/docs/pygplates/sample-code/pygplates_calculate_velocities_by_plate_id.html

http://www.gplates.org/docs/pygplates/sample-code/pygplates_calculate_velocities_in_dynamic_plates.html

The first link shows how to calculate velocities of moving geometries (by their plate ID).

The second link is for velocities of dynamic (topological) plates at static point locations (deformation is not currently handled - that will come in a future pygplates release).

Regards,
John