[GPlates-discuss] Rotating multiple sites

Christian.Heine at shell.com Christian.Heine at shell.com
Sat Jan 30 00:20:45 AEDT 2016

Marcus,

cookie cutter to the rescue:

1) Generate a GMT xy file (or any sort of GPlates-readable feature collection) with your site locations

2) Import it into GPlates. It'll nag you about assigning metadata (name, PlateIDs etc) to the attribute columns in your file which you can skip for now.

3) Load the plate model of your choice into GPlates, especially a set of (static) polygons. The sample dataset is probably a good start.

4) In the Menu -> Features -> Assign Plate IDs

5) In the wizard, specify the partitioning layer (the static polygons), the features to be partitioned (your sample sites). Then decide on the way things should be partitioned (if you have points I recommend "copy ... from polygon that most overlaps each geometry in a feature"). If you want to also assign ages, check the "Time of " checkbox.

6) Click "Apply"

7) You data should now have been assigned plate ids and you should be able to rotate them around.

8) Export the rotated point data set through Reconstructions -> Export -> Single Snapshot (if you only require a single recon time) -> Add export -> Reconstructed geometries -> GMT as output file format.

GPlates works with GMT files all fine, but make sure that valuable metadata/attributes of your point locations are preserved. The "extended" GMT format with attributes in the comment line should work if I recall correctly.

HTH,
Christian

--
  Christian Heine, Ph.D.
  Upstream - Opportunity Identification (UPX/N/OH)

  W: http://www.shell.com
  G: http://goo.gl/7GfvPZ