[GPlates-discuss] Large rasters in GPlates 1.3 and GPML

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Wed Nov 13 12:35:43 AEDT 2013

Hi Lester,

Thank you for the details - this is very helpful.

I'll send you an FTP voucher to upload those files (if you could include the plates Shapefile with the raster that would be great - I suspect the cause of the slowdown is more related to the Shapefile).

The log message "Unable to mesh polygon:  bad allocation" (in your log file) happens when we use CGAL to refine a delaunay triangulation of a plate polygon (to generate a spherical mesh for it), and it looks like it ran out of memory (and moved onto the next polygon). The difference here between GPlates 1.3 and previous versions is 1.3 supports self-intersecting polygons using CGAL's exact predicates. Whereas previous GPlates versions would reject a self-intersecting polygon which would then appear as a hole in the reconstructed raster (and the message "PolygonMesh::initialise: Unable to mesh polygon - it's self-intersecting." would appear in the log file).

> but when one connects to the polys to reconstruct, that slows down a lot initially

Yes, each time one connects a raster to the polys (to reconstruct the raster) the above meshing code runs over each polygon and that is generally the cause of the slowdown (even in 1.1.1 and 1.2 there's a noticeable few seconds where GPlates is unresponsive while it's busy doing this meshing). But it seems like the meshing is taking a lot longer with 1.3.

> All I can think is that there is something with the cache file reading?

If it's the cache file reading then, for the most part, the slowdown will happen before the raster appears on the screen (ie, before you're even able to connect the raster to the polys).
But that can't be tested when reloading a recent session - can only be tested when manually loading raster/poly files and then manually connecting them.

But I would definitely like to test this out to confirm whether it's the cause or not.

Also if you could say which build of GPlates 1.3 you use (eg, Windows or Mac 32-bit or Mac 64-bit, etc) because different builds are compiled with different versions of the CGAL library - it may be that we need to build with a more recent version for that platform for example.

Regards,
John