[GPlates-discuss] Large rasters in GPlates 1.3 and GPML

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:02:33 AEDT 2013

Hi John,

The raster does eventually work and the connection to the shapefile
activating, it just seems to take a rather long time when reloading a
recent session with the raster, rotation and plates layers.

The fact it loads fairly quick on 1.1.1 and 1.2 would suggest to me it is
not the raster, but something else inside 1.3. Is there a ftp site I can
upload the file to for you to check?

Once the layers are all up, then everything works fine and I can spin the
globe quick with the raster cookie-cut to the plates. All I can think is
that there is something with the cache file reading?

The time consuming issue is not importing the raster, but when one connects
to the polys to reconstruct, that slows down a lot initially.

GPlates 1.3 only crashes if I try to manually close it while doing its slow
bit (looks unresponsive).

With everything up and running the log window shows:

Logging to console started at Tue 12. Nov 13:34:20 2013 by GPlates  14188
******Start testing python capability******
python import test passed.
python math test passed.
python system test passed.
******End of testing python capability******
[Warning] PolygonMesh::initialise: Unable to mesh polygon:  bad allocation .

I do think that complex plate polygons (no coastlines) can be a problem, as
when there are overlapping nodes and ring geometries (from ArcGIS); I
currently edit things with QGIS.

Cheers

Lester