[Geodynamics] AGU 2022: Submit an abstract to session DI012 - Seismic Anisotropy and Mantle Dynamics: Observations, Models, and Experiments

Manuele Faccenda manuele.faccenda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 17:41:51 AEST 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session on, "D12 -
Seismic Anisotropy and Mantle Dynamics: Observations, Models, and
Experiments" that will take place at the 2022 AGU Fall Meeting on 12-16
December in-person (Chicago, IL) and online. Please see below for a
detailed description of the session.

Additional details and abstract submission instructions may be found here: <
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oRHRCL7EwMfPom0lPtBZ0hC?domain=agu.confex.com>

We look forward to seeing your research!

Sincerely,
Brandon VanderBeek,
Manuele Faccenda,
Maureen Long,
Andrew Birkey, and
Poulami Roy

Session Abstract
Constraining and interpreting the anisotropic properties of the solid Earth
is fundamental to understanding mantle dynamics from the lithosphere to the
core. The anisotropic structure of Earth's interior reflects its
deformation history and the resulting fabrics are sensitive to a host of
important properties including pressure and temperature conditions, mineral
assemblages, presence of partial melt, and volatile contents. However,
constraining and interpreting seismic anisotropy has been a challenge due
to the inaccessibility of the mantle and uncertainties in observations,
models, and experiments. The growing volume of seismic data together with
novel analysis methods has generated increasingly robust measurements of
anisotropic properties placing new constraints on lithospheric deformation
mechanisms, mantle circulation, plate boundary dynamics, and core-mantle
boundary processes. Detailed interpretation of geophysical data is driven
by experimental advances targeting the rheology of Earth materials at
relevant conditions. At the same time, computational developments allow for
the simulation of geologic processes at unprecedented resolution permitting
direct comparison to observations. Collaboration between these fields will
bring new and exciting insights into the dynamics of our planet's interior.
We welcome submissions on the anisotropic properties of the solid earth and
their influence on its behavior. Contributions from geophysical and
geologic observations (seismology, magnetotellurics, structural analysis of
natural samples), geodynamics, and experimental and computational studies
on rheology and deformation are encouraged.

Best regards
Manuele Faccenda, on behalf of the organizing committee

Manuele Faccenda
Associate Professor of Solid Earth Geophysics

Dipartimento di Geoscienze, Università di Padova
Via Gradenigo n. 6, 35131, Padova, Italy
tel: +39 049 827 9159
Personal website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wGbpCMwGxOt5oRpv5uk86ZS?domain=sites.google.com

NEWTON project website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/WaoQCNLJyQUNnEYwNijxszb?domain=newtonproject.geoscienze.unipd.it