[Geodynamics] Session on Paleogene Paleoclimate, Polar Wander, and Tectonics at Fall 2021 AGU Meeting

Richard G Gordon rgg at rice.edu
Tue Jul 20 10:51:09 AEST 2021

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We encourage you to submit an abstract to our session at the Fall 2021
AGU meeting (December 13-17):

GP007--Linkages between paleoclimate, paleoceanography, polar wander,
and tectonic changes during the Paleogene

Important climate and oceanographic changes occurred in the Paleogene,
most notably the enormous transition in global temperature with peak
Greenhouse temperatures during the Early Eocene Climatic Optimum
gradually declining until the massive temperature drop associated with
increased Antarctic glaciation at the Eocene-Oligocene boundary. During
the same interval, important tectonic changes occurred around the planet
including the initial collision of India with Eurasia, the formation of
the bend in the Hawaiian-Emperor chain (with hypothesized changes in
mantle flow), opening of gateways, a global reorganization of plate
motions, the eruption of the North Atlantic igneous province, and a
hypothesized episode of 5 to 10 degrees of true polar wander. For this
session, we seek contributions on any of these topics and potential
linkages between them. We seek contributions on topics like the above
that relate tectonics, polar wander, and mantle flow during the
Paleogene to Earth’s surface and its climatic history.

Abstract submission is now open and the deadline is*August 4, 2021 at
23:59 EDT*.Submittal instructions are here:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BJ5dCgZ0N1iAV8NvMUNZBHw?domain=agu.org
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NhH7CjZ1N7inpgAzWHReYaU?domain=urldefense.proofpoint.com>.Presentations
can be in person in New Orleans (Louisiana, USA) or be made virtually.

On behalf of the convenors,

Richard (rgg at rice.edu)

Jacqueline Austermann, Columbia University
Gerald Dickens, Trinity College, Dublin
Richard Gordon, Rice University
Alison M. Piasecki, Dartmouth University
Sarah P. Slotznick, Dartmouth College

--
Richard G. Gordon
Keck Foundation Professor of Geophysics