[Geodynamics] vEGU2021 - Plate Tectonics: Continents and Oceans GD5.1

Lukas Fuchs lufuchs at geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Jan 6 23:15:09 AEDT 2021

**Apologies for cross--posting**

Dear Colleagues,

abstract submission deadline for the virtual vEGU2021 is approaching
fast and we would like to draw your attention to our multidisciplinary
session which aims at building a multidisciplinary and unified view on
the dynamical evolution of lithospheric localization processes.

Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is 13. January
2020, 13:00 CET.

Session Title: “Lithospheric localization processes across scales:
from fault dynamics to plate boundary formation and evolution”
(GD5.1/TS3.4).

Session description:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IjBSC3QNPBi3nylMHgisOj?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org

This year’s keynote speaker is Lucan Mameri.

In the framework of Plate Tectonics, Earth’s lithosphere is described
as a rigid shell deforming only within narrow boundaries, which play a
central role in our Planet’s thermal and dynamic evolution.
Understanding the modalities of strain localization (or lack thereof)
in the lithosphere is therefore essential to describe the formation
and evolution of plate boundaries, fault zones and other mechanical
heterogeneities. This requires knowledge of localization processes
over a range of spatial scales (from mineral to outcrop to tectonic
plate) as well as temporal scales (from seconds to millions of years).
As such, it involves complementary inputs from geological and seismic
observations, laboratory experiments, and numerical and analog modeling.
We welcome multidisciplinary contributions that will collaboratively
help build a unified view of the dynamical evolution of lithospheric
localization processes. Example topics include but are certainly not
limited to the study of variations in lithospheric properties deduced
from mineralogical, petrological or geological data (in the brittle
and ductile regimes), and of the implication of lithospheric
heterogeneities on the dynamics of fault zones and the formation and
evolution of plate margins in nature or in simulations.
Important Deadlines and Milestones:

We look forward to meeting you online!

Sincerely,

Lukas Fuchs