[Geodynamics] Three-year postdoc position in numerical modelling of continental rifting

Buiter, Susanne susanne.buiter at rwth-aachen.de
Sat Mar 21 02:56:32 AEDT 2020

Dear all,

I hope the following position may be of interest to readers of this list (and apologies for duplicate postings). I am looking for someone interested in a postdoc position in numerical modelling of continental rifting. The position is initially for three years, but could possibly be extended. Please find more information on the position and how to apply below, and at the link, but a short description is that the position will focus on numerical experiments of the initial stages of continental rifting, aiming to investigate interplays between inheritance, rheology and plate tectonic setting. Development of new numerical software is explicitly foreseen. Some involvement in teaching and student supervision is expected.

I am only happy to answer questions about the position and suggest e-mail (susanne.buiter at rwth-aachen.de) as initial contact. The phone number in the advertisement is not attended as i am in home office.

Seeing the situation with corona, i expect to be conducting interviews online, but would like to reassure interested candidates that we will do what we can to provide them with relevant information about working at RWTH Aachen University and living in Aachen. Equally so is the proposed start date of 1 August not written in stone and will be something to work out together with the successful candidate while we adapt to these fast changing times.

With best wishes,

Susanne Buiter

Postdoc in numerical modelling of continental rifting

Unit for Tectonics and Geodynamics

RWTH Aachen University

Jobnumber: 31155, Institutskennziffer: 531220

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NAdjCMwGxOtxlAoAHwknAV?domain=rwth-aachen.de

Our profile:

The Unit for Tectonics and Geodynamics at RWTH Aachen uses numerical and analogue techniques to investigate causes and consequences of continental deformation processes. We are calling for applications for a three-year position as postdoctoral researcher. The position will focus on numerical experiments of the initial stages of continental rifting, aiming to investigate interplays between inheritance, rheology and plate tectonic setting. Development of new numerical software is explicitly foreseen. Some involvement in teaching and student supervision is expected.

• We can offer an inclusive work environment with unique scientific challenges and good opportunities for professional development.

• We offer support for presenting at (inter-)national conferences and for open access publication of results obtained during the postdoc appointment.

• The existing finite-element 2D/3D software SULEC (by Buiter and Ellis) is available to the postdoctoral researcher.

Your profile:

• Applicants must have a doctorate/Ph.D. in Geosciences or equivalent.

• This position requires proven experience in setting up, running and evaluating thermomechanical numerical experiments of geodynamic processes (such as continental rifting, basin formation and inversion, and/or the formation of accretionary wedges).

• Experience in coding and/or developing numerical geodynamic software is a strong advantage.

• Applicants are expected to be able to work independently as well as collaborate across disciplines.

• Applicants must have completed their PhD at the time the position starts.

• Applicants should be able to express themselves fluently in English, written and orally.

Your responsibilities:

• The successful applicant will use existing numerical software (such as SULEC) to conduct experiments on the initial stages of continental rifting, investigating the interplay between (structural and thermal) inheritance, lithosphere rheology, and the plate tectonic setting.

• The successful applicant is expected to develop new software for thermomechanical experiments, as teaching tools for BSc/MSc levels and/or as optimised towards 3D experiments.

• Close interaction with analogue experiments on continental rifting is a possibility.

• (Co-)supervision of Bachelor and Master students and some involvement in teaching is expected.

• Presentation of results at (inter-)national conferences and publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals is expected.

We ask for a cover letter, a cv, a statement of research interest of maximum one page, and the contact details of three persons willing to write a reference (please note that we specifically not ask for reference letters at this stage).

What we offer:

The successful candidate will be employed as a regular employee or as a pubilc servant.

The position is 3 years and to be filled by August 1, 2020.

This is a full-time position. It is also available as part-time employment per request.

The salary corresponds to level EG 13 TV-L.

RWTH Aachen University is certified as a "Family-Friendly University". We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender. We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups, recognizing they are underrepresented across RWTH Aachen University. The principles of fair and open competition apply and appointments will be made on merit. RWTH Aachen is an equal opportunities employer. We therefore ask you not to include a photo in your application. For information on the collection of personal data pursuant to Articles 13 and 14 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), please visit: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LoEwCNLJyQUVRGnGS4mWHd?domain=rwth-aachen.de

Your contact person

For further details, please contact

Prof. Susanne Buiter

Tel.: +49 (0) 241-8095723

Email: susanne.buiter at rwth-aachen.de

Please send your application by April 27, 2020 to

Prof. Susanne Buiter

Angewandte Strukturgeologie

RWTH Aachen

Lochnerstr. 4-20

52064 Aachen, Germany

You can also send your application via email to ged at ged.rwth-aachen.de. Please note, however, that communication via unencrypted e-mail poses a threat to confidentiality as it is potentially vulnerable to unauthorized access by third parties.