[Geodynamics] Gender Equity and Role Models in Earth Sciences - 5 minute Survey (MEN ONLY)

Erin Martin erin at travelinggeologist.com
Fri Jul 12 13:50:09 AEST 2019

Dear all (apologies for cross-posting),

I am a Geology PhD student and an intern with TravelingGeologist. As part of
my internship and work in Science Outreach, I wanted to learn more about the
varying experiences of men and women in Earth Science, and to discuss how to
move towards greater equity and diversity in the sciences.

Our early findings show that Students and Early Career Researchers are
looking to social media for positive role-models and that social media
platforms such as Instagram and Facebook allow access to role-models from
diverse backgrounds.

These findings are exciting; however, we currently have over one thousand
survey responses from women and very few from men. We want responses from
men to investigate the effects of gender.

The anonymous survey (linked below) aims to investigate the role that social
media plays in positively influencing the experiences of women in science.
The results of this survey will be presented in the session "14a:
Communicating Science: Reaching beyond our community" at Goldschmidt2019,
and, "T179, Evidence-Based Theory and Practice of Science Communication in
the Geosciences: New Methods, Avenues, and Audiences" at 2019 Geological
Society of America Annual Meeting.

Please feel free to share this with your friends and departments.

The survey can be accessed here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mC6eCZYM2VFR1oG0FzD6eq?domain=forms.gle

Kind Regards,

Erin

Erin Martin