[Geodynamics] interdisciplinary EGU 2019 session on mantle upwellings (plumes etc.)

Maxim Ballmer ballmer at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 9 03:54:51 AEDT 2019

Dear all

Please be invited to contribute to the session:

GD3.4/GMPV2.8/PS1.13/SM4.12/TS9.4
Causes and consequences of mantle upwellings

For abstract, see below. Our solicited speaker will be Maelis Arnould (ENS
Paris).

On behalf of all the convenors (cc'ed)

Maxim Ballmer

GD3.4/GMPV2.8/PS1.13/SM4.12/TS9.4
Causes and consequences of mantle upwellings
Mantle upwellings are an important component of the Earth’s convective
system that can cause volcanism and anomalies in surface topography.
Upwellings can rise from thermal boundary layers as hot “mantle plumes”.
Alternatively, they can be the response to upper-mantle convective flow,
subduction, or rifting. Clearly, different mechanisms sustain mantle
upwellings of various temperature, vigour and composition, causing
characteristic signals that can potentially be imaged using geophysical
data, as well as expressed in the geochemistry and petrology of related
magmatism.

This session invites contributions that focus on mantle upwellings from
geophysics, geochemistry, and modelling perspectives. Our aim is to bring
together constraints from multiple disciplines to understand the origin and
dynamics of mantle upwellings, as well as their potential to trigger mantle
melting, create volcanism, generate ore deposits, and build dynamic
topography.