[Geodynamics] EGU 2019 | "Continental Rift Evolution: Tectonics, Topography, Transients" | TS6.1/GD5.6/GMPV2.12/SM1.24

Sascha Brune brune at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Nov 29 06:48:09 AEDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to our multidisciplinary EGU session on active rifts and rifted margins entitled "Continental Rift Evolution: Tectonics, Topography, Transients". For the session description and abstract submission link see https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IrkFCmOxDQtM5zm9hGXfcs?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IrkFCmOxDQtM5zm9hGXfcs?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>.

This session proudly includes a solicited presentation by Hans Christian Larsen and Geoffroy Mohn: "South China Sea rifted margin structure: A cross between magma-poor and magma-rich margin formation?"

In case you consider to apply for the EGU Roland Schlich travel support (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LvFGCnxyErCWGvJkIJiaVu?domain=egu2018.eu <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LvFGCnxyErCWGvJkIJiaVu?domain=egu2018.eu>) you have to hurry, because that abstract submission deadline is already next Saturday, 1 December 2018, 13:00 CET. Otherwise, the general deadline for abstract submission is 10 January 2019, 13:00 CET.

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.
Kind regards,
Sascha Brune (GFZ Potsdam)
Carmen Gaina (University of Oslo)
Giacomo Corti (University of Florence)
Nick Kusznir (University of Liverpool)

------------------------------
Session TS6.1/GD5.6/GMPV2.12/SM1.24
"Continental Rift Evolution: Tectonics, Topography, Transients"

Continental rifting is a multi-facetted process spanning from the inception of extension to continental rupture or the formation of a failed rift. This session aims at combining new data sets, concepts and techniques elucidating the structure and dynamics of rifts and rifted margins. We invite submissions highlighting the time-dependent evolution of processes such as initiation of faults and ductile shear zones, tectono-magmatic and sedimentary history, lithospheric necking and rift strength loss, influence of the pre-rift lithospheric structure, mantle dynamics and associated effects on rifting processes, as well as continental break-up and the transition to sea-floor spreading. We encourage contributions using multi-disciplinary and innovative methods from field geology, geochronology, seismology, geodesy, marine geophysics, plate reconstruction, or modeling. Focus regions may include but are not limited to the Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and South China Sea (e.g. IODP 367/368 area) rifted margins, or the East African, Eger, Baikal and Gulf of California rift systems. Special emphasis will be given to presentations that provide an integrated picture by combining results from active rifts, passive margins, failed rift arms or by bridging the temporal and spatial scales associated with rifting.

Sascha Brune
Geodynamic Modelling Section
GFZ Potsdam, Germany
T +49 (0) 331 288 1928   M brune at gfz-potsdam.de