[Geodynamics] Last reminder: EGU 2018 "The role of the plate-mantle system in long-term geological cycles"

martina ulvrova mulvrova at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:07:33 AEDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

the abstract submission deadline for EGU 2018 General Assembly in Vienna
(8-13 April 2018) is in less than 24h, *Wednesday January 10, 2018, 13:00
CET*. We want to draw your attention to the exciting and multidisciplinary
session (GD3.3/GMPV8.3/SM 4.17)
The role of the plate-mantle system in long-term geological cycles: a
multidisciplinary approach

*Earth’s mantle is thermally and chemically heterogeneous at multiple
scales, from the crystal structure of rocks through to slabs and
large-scale chemical reservoirs in the deep mantle. An enduring problem in
geoscience is that different scales of heterogeneity require different
techniques and methods for investigation, yet ultimately we strive for an
holistic view on the origin and evolution of mantle heterogeneity from the
surface to the core-mantle boundary. Furthermore, mantle and tectonic
processes control supercontinent cycles, which drive fundamental
evolutionary cycles on Earth, including major sea level fluctuations,
extinctions, ocean circulations, and long-term greenhouse-icehouse cycles.
For example, coupled plate-mantle processes affecting sea level include
dynamic topography, changes in the volume of ocean basins, and changes in
the amount of water stored in the Earth's mantle. For this session we
invite contributions from all areas of geoscience that involve numerical
modelling and/or data analysis to shed light on the plate-mantle system and
its role in determining the long-term history of Earth through geological
and biological cycles. We aim to facilitate lively and interdisciplinary
discussion and provide inspiration for new collaborative studies across
different fields.*

*Solicited speaker *
*Paula Koelemeijer* (University College Oxford)
*Conveners:*
Martina Ulvrova (ETH Zurich),
Dietmar Muller (The University of Sydney),
Dan J. Bower (University of Bern),
Thomas Bodin (UCBL Lyon 1),
Antoine Rozel (ETH Zurich).

*We invite you to submit an abstract
here:https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/p7C-Cq7BKYtkkOPgtZtVn1?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/p7C-Cq7BKYtkkOPgtZtVn1?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>*

Appologies for cross-posting.
Looking forward to seeing you in Vienna,
best regards,

Martina Ulvrova.