[Geodynamics] EarthArXiv - a preprint server for the Earth Sciences

Jackson, Christopher A - L c.jackson at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 18:50:24 AEDT 2017

Happy Open Access Week!

A preprint is a version of a paper that precedes publication in a peer-reviewed journal. The preprint may persist with it’s own unique DOI after a paper is published in a journal. A preprint server is a platform built to host preprints.

While a preprint server related to physics, mathematics and computer science has been around for decades (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/q0YwBQf8G2gRt9?domain=arxiv.org), preprint servers have only recently become available for other science disciplines such as biology (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/44GqB7UlG7aLHg?domain=bioarxiv.org). Major funders, including the German Science Foundation (DFG), Wellcome Trust, the Medical Research Council (MRC), and Cancer Research, now accept preprints in support of funding applications; it is likely that, in future, other funding agencies, more directly relevant to the Earth Science, will follow suit. Given this, and the desire amongst researchers to accelerate sharing and use of research material, we are proud to formally announce the launch of EarthArXiv, the preprint server for the Earth Sciences!

Powered by the Center for Open Science’s ‘Open Science Framework’, we are now accepting submissions via: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/drxzBeu2OZmEFm?domain=eartharxiv.org. Just click on the "Add a preprint" button and you'll be guided through steps to set up an Open Science Framework (OSF) account, submit a paper, and upload/link to any associated data and software. During the soft-launch, we received a number of high-quality preprint submissions; please check them out. We'd love to also legally host your research on our platform!

If your current research is not ready for submission, you may be interested in using EarthArXiv to host a postprint; in this sense, EarthArXiv acts as an achieve for your already peer-reviewed paper, removing it from behind any paywall associated with the journal in which it is published. Please note that preprint and post print rules vary from journal to journal, so you may want to check SHERPARoMEO (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Db1pBJUqk73QtE?domain=sherpa.ac.uk) for your journal's specific pre- and postprint policies.

We look forward to working with you in developing EarthArXiv. We thank you for your support and look forward to helping you share your research now and in the future. If you have any questions whatsoever, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Preprints are here to stay, thus we encourage you to get involved! Make it the one new thing to learn about Open Access during Open Access Week!

Chris Jackson and the EarthArXiv founders

Professor Christopher Aiden-Lee Jackson
Statoil Professor of Basin Analysis

Deputy Director (Projects) of MSc Petroleum Geoscience

Co-Deputy Director of Postgraduate Studies
Basins Research Group (BRG<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/87W8BlUx41bvfQ?domain=basinsresearchgroup.com>)
Department of Earth Science & Engineering
Imperial College
Prince Consort Road
London
SW7 2BP
England

Email: c.jackson at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:c.jackson at imperial.ac.uk>
Phone: +44(0)207 59 47450
Webpage: www.imperial.ac.uk/people/c.jackson<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Qv1bBRfvq8aAuD?domain=imperial.ac.uk>
Twitter: @seis_matters
LINKS
ResearchGate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Christopher_Jackson5/?ev=hdr_xprf<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xMnXB1UR92AvHX?domain=exchange.imperial.ac.uk>
British Sedimentological Research Group (BSRG) – Chair (2013-2016) - www.bsrg.org.uk<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/M41aBLUvN8Amun?domain=exchange.imperial.ac.uk>
Applied Geodynamic Laboratory (AGL), Bureau of Economic Geology (BEG), UT Austin – Visiting Scientist - https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Ov16BlfYq1AgtJ?domain=beg.utexas.edu<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9OVQB5Uk3eJGi7?domain=exchange.imperial.ac.uk>