[Geodynamics] EGU: Reconstructing mantle and lithosphere motions: state of play

COLTICE NICOLAS nicolas.coltice at univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Jan 4 21:59:38 AEDT 2016

Happy new year to everyone. We wish you all the best for the year to come.
And we hope to see you in april in Vienna. Indeed, we draw your attention to submit a contribution (13th of January is the deadline) to the session GD5.1: Reconstructing mantle and lithosphere motions: state of play.

Knowledge of the state of the Earth mantle and its temporal evolution is fundamental to a variety of disciplines in Earth Sciences, from the internal dynamics to its many expressions in the geological record (postglacial rebound, sea level change, ore deposits, basin evolution, crustal structure and geomagnetic reversals). Mantle convection simulations are a centerpiece to unravel the present and past state of the mantle. However, convection models are still sparsely used to estimate the convective history of the solid Earth, in comparison to ocean or atmospheric models for weather and climate prediction. This may reflect past computational limitations, that past models may not have been predictive enough to match observations, or that some observations are not “powerful” enough to be used successfully in constraining mantle simulations.

In this context, we welcome in this session any work that contributes to progress on the following questions:

What can we learn and what can’t we learn about Earth’s evolution from global or regional geodynamic models?

What can we learn and what can’t we learn about mantle dynamics from global or regional tectonic models or other geological observations?

​We wish you a very good start of the year.

Nicolas, Paul & Dietmar.