[ASA] Nationally significant data collections - opportunity for inclusion in data retention project

Shona Madoc smadoc at swin.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 09:27:35 AEDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

Are you a data owner?  Do you maintain astronomy data collections of national significance?  If so, we can help you to improve the provenance and findability of your data collection!

The ARDC Data Retention Project Phase 2 is focused on identifying important data collections that have not been previously supported by federal research infrastructure initiatives.  AAL, along with several of our data and computing partners, is looking to identify significant national astronomy data collections which could be included in this project.  Once identified, these collections will be described in a consistent and persistent manner using the international citation framework, DataCite. This allows researchers to easily and accurately locate their data collections in a digital research infrastructure and acknowledge other researchers’ data collections when they’re reused.

We are currently working with 21 astronomy data collections of national significance and are looking to identify more data collections which will be able, with assistance from the project, to meet 13 key metadata standards from the international data citation initiative.  Data collections should be around 5Tb or larger in size, have a known data owner and publisher, and be able to provide an abstract style description of the data collection.  Data collections will be assessed by ARDC for eligibility in the project and then allocated to one of AAL's data and computing partners who will provide assistance with project completion.

If you have a data collection which you think may be suitable for this project, please contact Shona Madoc, AAL Program Manager: shona.madoc at astronomyaustralia.org.au before 30 November 2022.

Kind regards,

Shona

Shona Madoc

Program Manager

Astronomy Australia Ltd

E: shona.madoc at astronomyaustralia.org.au

W: astronomyaustralia.org.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/yvzZCNLJyQUNyzPR0SmUfXR?domain=astronomyaustralia.org.au>

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

[aal_logo_notext]

AAL endeavours to be an environmentally sustainable organisation built upon equity, diversity and mutual respect for its staff and stakeholders.