[ASA] A message from your ESO UC representative: Australian ESO proposal workshop & OPC nominations

Sarah Sweet sarah at sarahsweet.com.au
Tue Sep 6 10:00:02 AEST 2022

Dear Australian astronomers,

I’m writing as your ESO Users Committee (UC) representative, to bring two items to your attention.

Australian ESO Proposal Workshop 2022

As previously advertised, AAL’s Stuart Ryder, Australia’s ESO Scientific Technical Committee representative Michael Murphy, and I as Users Committee representative are holding an on-line ESO proposal writing workshop this Thursday 8 Sep from noon-2:30pm AEST (10am-12:30pm AWST).

Topics to be covered include:
	• The Observing Programmes Committee Process
	• Summary of current and imminent ESO instrumentation
	• The Dual-Anonymous Proposal & Distributed Peer Review processes
followed by a round-table discussion involving a panel of major users of ESO and past OPC members about what makes a compelling proposal, and common mistakes to avoid.

Participants will have the opportunity to pitch ideas for proposals to the panel for helpful feedback.

If you are interested in participating in this workshop, please register in advance by going to: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ry4MCk81N9tnML7BxI27THU?domain=us02web.zoom.us

We hope to see you there!

Observing Proposal Committee (OPC)

ESO is now calling for nominations for candidates to serve on the OPC and Expert Panels, to assess normal proposals requesting 16 or more hours, and special proposals (Target of Opportunity, calibration or Director’s Discretionary Time). We have a good number of Australian astronomers who have previously nominated; if you nominated since November 2017 and have not yet been called upon, your name is still in the system. Still, as a community we could do better in diversity, so please consider nominating yourself or a colleague (with their approval) by contacting me, regardless of demographic (other than the ESO requirement for nominees to be on their second postdoc or beyond).

I will send another message with the outcomes of the 46th UC meeting, in the coming weeks when they are published.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any ESO-related queries or feedback, and for technical help please contact the ESO User Support Department at usd-help at eso.org.
Best wishes,

Sarah

---