[ASA] Machine Learning in Australian Astronomy - zoom meeting 11am AEST 25th August 2022

Sarah Brough s.brough at unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 19 10:07:49 AEST 2022

Dear ASA Members,

I last contacted you in June regarding bringing together a Machine
Learning in Australian Astronomy community. We now have a slack
workspace with ~50 members (if you are interested and yet to join please
use this link that will be valid for 30 days:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FBrmCANpgjC9YNVOQIG8yto?domain=join.slack.com
).

As flagged in the earlier email, we will meet via zoom next Thursday
25th August at 11am (AEST; 9am AWST) for some initial conversations
about how to support this community - zoomlink:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/cqKfCBNqjlCVo7AKGH6d_Nx?domain=unsw.zoom.us
     Password: 607619

We would use this opportunity to hear what people are interested in
getting from (or giving to!) this community, and any practical
suggestions for achieving that. Below I have included my personal list
as a starting point and I am very happy to hear from you all too!

I’m keen for Australian astronomers working in this space to know:

1. that they’re using the right tools for the problem that they’re
trying to solve -> this could take the form of (regular?) beginners
workshops on how to start in AI/ML as well as (monthly?) short
presentations on people’s work in progress with discussion time.

2. who in the community is already working in that area/with that
technique so they know who to discuss problems with -> this is partly
achieved by the slack#introductions
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/l97dCD1vlpTBP5MA9sAozay?domain=mlaa-workspace.slack.com>channel, and the
slack#general
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pcL9CE8wmrtWP3nx7FP45BO?domain=mlaa-workspace.slack.com>channel can also
be used for discussion of problems, and reinforced by (monthly?) short
presentations on people’s work in progress.

3. Suk Yee Yong also mentioned the value of hearing about
failed/successful attempts/approaches - can we apply the same ML methods
to solve similar tasks? partly achieved by the slack#
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/l97dCD1vlpTBP5MA9sAozay?domain=mlaa-workspace.slack.com>failschannel

4. for those who are thinking about moving into more data
scientist/machine-learning focussed roles it would be valuable to hear
from people who have already done that about what that transition looks
like and what is required -> this is partly achieved by
the#introductions
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/l97dCD1vlpTBP5MA9sAozay?domain=mlaa-workspace.slack.com>channel, but
could be reinforced by including this aspect in regular short presentations.

Regards, Sarah

--