[ASA] Barangaroo Central Tower will block Sydney Observatory view to west

Andrew Jacob Andrew.Jacob at maas.museum
Fri Jul 29 16:19:20 AEST 2022

Hello,

The view to the west from Sydney Observatory is under threat from a proposed building modification (a 73-m tall tower) in the Barangaroo Central precinct.

Draft plans are currently on display & submissions are open until Monday August 08.

The modification application contains errors, including the claim that Sydney Observatory does not observe anything below 10-degrees altitude. This is demonstrably false.

We seek your assistance in making a submission regarding the modification. If you would like to help, further details are below and attached. And I'd be very happy to provide any further information you may need.

You can make a submission at Barangaroo Concept Plan (Mod 9) (nsw.gov.au)<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Y6VWCQnMBZf6zoKlDfx4SQE?domain=aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com>

Thank you
Andrew Jacob,
Curator, Sydney Observatory

A little more:
The Barangaroo Concept Plan (Mod 9) is on display at Barangaroo Concept Plan (Mod 9) (nsw.gov.au)<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Y6VWCQnMBZf6zoKlDfx4SQE?domain=aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com>.
Under "Attachments & Resources" is the folder "Modification Application". In here Appendix G - "Sky View Impact Assessment" presents the developers assessment of the tower's impact on Observatory views.

Appendix G includes an Executive Summary and a Consultant's assessment of the impact of the 73m tower.

Appendix G is significantly in error in several ways, the major one being that it assumes a "lowest practical angle of viewing" of 10-degrees altitude. But NO such minimum angle exists for public viewing from Sydney Observatory. Please see the attached information (pdf file) for more.

Andrew Jacob

Curator
Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences
500 Harris Street, Ultimo, Sydney, NSW 2007 Australia
T +61 2 99213480
The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.