[ASA] Call for Nominations: IDEA Chapter Steering Committee

asa idea asa.ideastronomy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 17:34:38 AEST 2022

Dear ASA Members,

The Inclusion, Diversity and Equity in Astronomy (IDEA) Chapter of the ASA (
asa-idea.org) aims to promote and assist the career development of
underrepresented groups working in astronomy in Australia, raise awareness
of issues faced by these groups and undertake to establish best practice
guidelines for supporting the inclusion of these groups in our community.
The IDEA Chapter has been active for over a decade (initially as the Women
in Astronomy Chapter) and has driven activities that have been beneficial
to the diversity of people working in astronomy. ASA members are welcome to
join the Chapter by registering at the ASA’s membership site (
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4rpsCE8wmrtWKDEr8TNDxib?domain=asa.wildapricot.org - click on the CHAPTERS tab to do this).

The IDEA Chapter is run by a steering committee that plays a leading role
in devising and implementing initiatives to fulfil the Chapter’s goals. The
nominal composition of the committee with filled and open positions
indicated is as follows:

   -

   Chair: Devika Kamath (female, Level C, Macquarie, term: July 2022-2024)
   -

   *Deputy Chair: OPEN *
   -

   Outgoing Chair: Katie Jameson (female, Level B, CSIRO, term: July
   2022-2023)
   -

   ASA Council representative: Michael Brown (male, Level D, Monash, term:
   July 2022-2023)
   -

   General Committee Members:
   - Dan Zucker (male, Level D, Macquarie, term: Dec. 2021-2023)
      - Kate Callaghan (female, Level E, CSIRO, term: Dec. 2021-2023)
      - Michael Cowley (male, Level B, QUT, term: Dec. 2021-2023)
      - Ashley Ruiter (female, Level C, CSIRO, term: Dec. 2021-2023)
   -

   Student Representative: Kateryna Andrych (female, HDR Student,
   Macquarie, term: Dec. 2021-2022)
   -

   *ASA ECR Chapter/ECR (level A/B) representative: OPEN *

We aim to have a diverse steering committee with broad representation of
Australian astronomy organisations, seniority, gender identities, and lived
experience. The terms for new regular members will be two years.

Keeping this in mind, we seek nominations for the following OPEN positions :

Deputy Chair:

We are seeking someone to assist the current chair and will transition to
chair at the end of their 2 year term. This is an opportunity to drive
change in our community and help progress diversity, equity, and inclusion
in astronomy.

ASA ECR Chapter representative:

We are seeking nominations from level A or level B academics.

*What will being a member of the IDEA Chapter steering committee entail?*

We expect each steering committee member to attend monthly hour-long
meetings and be able to devote ~5 hours/month to IDEA Chapter work. For the
next ~10 months the focus of the steering committee's work will be on
Pleiades Awards. Please note that there may be increased meetings at the
start of 2023 for review of applications

As a member of the steering committee, you are also welcome to join the
IDEA Community Committee to regularly meet with representatives from the
equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) committees from all Australian
astronomical organisations to develop best practices on key topics.

*We are now inviting nominations for the 2 open positions, with a deadline
of Tuesday, 26 July 2022.* *Please email your nomination to the ASA Officer
for this election (Debra Gooley: debra.gooley at sydney.edu.au
<debra.gooley at sydney.edu.au>**). *Each nomination must 1) indicate the
position you are seeking and 2) include a brief paragraph summarising your
interest in the position and how you envisage contributing to the broad
goals of the Chapter. Please note that this information will be made
available to voters in the event of an election.

The nomination / election schedule is:

   - deadline for nominations: 26 July 2022
   - election period (if required): 28 July – 4 August 2022
   - results announced, and new positions commence: 5 August 2022

Best regards,

Katie Jameson (Outgoing Chair)

*The IDEA Chapter Steering Committee*
asa-idea.org