[ASA] Mothers in Astronomy

John Lattanzio john.lattanzio at monash.edu
Sun May 8 09:16:15 AEST 2022

Dear Colleagues
   please find here a link <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f7brCXLW2mUnOX1LDf6W7gN?domain=misaladino.com>to
a booklet on "Mothers in Astronomy", sent to us by the Editors Paola
Pinilla, Maria Claudia Ramirez-Tannus, and Martha Irene Saladino Rosas. The
book contains the stories of many mothers in astronomy.

   The book looks at many examples, but of course every story is different
and unique. There will certainly be many more diverse stories within our
membership. Nevertheless the book offers an opening for conversations
about, more broadly, what it means to be a caregiver/parent and a
scientist.

   Further, the Diversity Council of Australia has a nice blog post
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UbdNCYW8Noc3ALQypiGv0P3?domain=dca.org.au>
on the topic that contains many diverse perspectives.

   Let me close with some words from one of my favourite writers, the late
Leonard Cohen:

*"May you be surrounded by friends and family, and if that is not your lot,
may the blessings find you in your solitude."*

   Best wishes to all of you

   John Lattanzio

--
*I'm an LGBTIQ Ally**      -     Find out more at **https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xqY7CZY1NqiMQ5EW8tKhGNL?domain=monash.edu
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/W9JKC1WLPxcpqM1QBSXYdG9?domain=monash.edu>

Professor John Lattanzio
President, Astronomical Society of Australia

School of Physics and Astronomy
Monash University Victoria 3800 AUSTRALIA

Ph:  +61 (0)3 9905-4428
WWW: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/DNXPC2xMQzik8pvDZi9l_H6?domain=users.monash.edu.au <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FlwWC3QNPBim2pwr9Cv7fUz?domain=maths.monash.edu.au>
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/VZH-C4QOPEiJlByw9hjw6Bm?domain=orcid.org