[ASA] Call for 2.3m Telescope Proposals

Paul Francis Paul.Francis at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 28 09:56:21 AEST 2022

Dear Observer,

The closing date for observing proposals for time on the ANU/RSAA 2.3m telescope at Siding Spring Observatory (SSO) in the quarter 1st August 2022 - 31st October 2022 is 23:59 May 15, 2022.

Note that the price of a paid priority night has increased in 2022 to $1200 for Australian proposers and $2000 for international proposers.

WiFeS is the only instrument available (The Echelle and Imager have been decommissioned).

Observing proposals must be submitted electronically via the RSAA web pages.
Full instructions are available at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mWnbCr81nytAwqgl2u7atRg?domain=rsaa.anu.edu.au

*************************** PLEASE NOTE ***********************************

The ANU 2.3-metre telescope at Siding Spring Observatory is scientifically productive and a valuable resource for student training and instrument development. These diverse and significant benefits justify its continued operation for the foreseeable future. The full cost to the ANU Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA) of operating the 2.3m telescope (including staff, maintenance and repairs) corresponds to approximately $2000 per night. To defray this cost, RSAA is offering priority on the 2.3m telescope to paying customers from Australia and elsewhere, while simultaneously ensuring a level of open access to astronomers at all Australian institutions.

60% of the telescope time will be allocated to paid priority proposals, which will need to contribute $1200 per night towards the running costs of the telescope. The remaining 40% of the time is open-access and remains free. To be eligible to apply for open-access time, 50% or more of the proposers must be based at Australian institutions.

In future years the price of a priority night will increase and the fraction of open-access nights will decrease. Full details can be found at

The latest information on using the telescope and its instruments can be found at http://https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f4iiCwV1vMfL0jB3yS9335D?domain=rsaa.anu.edu.au<http://https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f4iiCwV1vMfL0jB3yS9335D?domain=rsaa.anu.edu.au>


If you have questions or technical problems in using the web-based submission process, please email tacinfo at mso.anu.edu.au.

Paul Francis
Chair, ANU TAC

Prof. Paul Francis (he/him)
ANU Distinguished Educator, Astrophysicist
Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics and
Physics Education Centre, Research School of Physics
ANU College of Science
Mt Stromlo Observatory and Building 38a
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

T +61 6125 2824 or +61 6125 8031
Zoom Personal Meeting ID: 645-796-9990
paul.francis at anu.edu.au<mailto:paul.francis at anu.edu.au>

CRICOS Provider #00120C | ABN: 52 234 063 906

The Australian National University acknowledges, celebrates, and pays our respects to the Ngunnawal and Ngambri people of the Canberra region and to all First Nations Australians on whose traditional lands we meet and work, and whose cultures are among the oldest continuing cultures in human history.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.sydney.edu.au/pipermail/asa/attachments/20220427/a807c6a2/attachment.html>

More information about the ASA mailing list