[ASA] IAU Information on OAE Glossary

Richard de Grijs richard.de-grijs at mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 06:51:25 AEST 2022

(Forwarded on behalf of the IAU Office of Astronomy for Education)

Dear colleague,

if you are interested in fostering astronomy education in schools
world-wide (and we hope that you are!), we are asking for your help, as
follows:
For teaching astronomy in schools, it is vital for students and teachers
to have resources available in their own language. That is why the IAU
Office of Astronomy for Education is embarking on a massive translation
drive for basic astronomy education resources – in particular for
languages where there currently are comparatively few such resources.

Such translations must be faithful, and scientifically correct. To
support translators, we are creating a multilingual astronomy glossary
with 400 astronomy-related terms relevant for primary or secondary
schools, along with definitions for these terms.

The first version of our glossary is in English, and here is the first
part where we need your help: Help us to make sure that our glossary
definitions are correct! The reviewing process is very simple: You log
in and review as few or as many separate definitions as you have time
for. In addition to scientists, we are also looking for teachers with
experience in teaching astronomy at primary or secondary school level to
help us with the review.

Simply fill in the reviewer registration form
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PAyoCJyBrGf880p7BcVAf9Z?domain=astro4edu.org>to
get started – we have tried to make this as easy for reviewers as possible!

Once the English version of the glossary is reviewed and ready, we will
start with the translations. If you could help us translate the glossary
into a language other than English, we would love to hear from you!
Please contact deacon at astro4edu.org <mailto:deacon at astro4edu.org>and we
will notify you as soon as we start with the relevant translations.

Thank you
The IAU OAE team