[ASA] Conference attached to April 2023 total solar eclipse in Western Australia

Steven Tingay s.tingay at curtin.edu.au
Thu Mar 31 15:52:11 AEDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

As you might know, a total solar eclipse will be visible from a small
corner of Western Australia in April 2023 - the path of totality just
touches the peninsula at Exmouth.

This is a rare event and will occur in a location that is not set up for
large numbers of visitors, so will be challenging to attend.

I've received some generous funding from Business Events Perth, to organise
a scientific conference attached to the eclipse event.

We have worked up a nine day itinerary concept that includes the conference
in Geraldton and guaranteed viewing spots and accommodation at the eclipse
site in Exmouth.  Travel between locations will be via coach buses.

As this will be a significant effort in terms of organisation, and a bit of
an adventure for the participants, we would like to gauge interest before
committing to the organisation.

To that end, we have produced a short document describing the concept, at:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/U8aUC81V0PTj6lNDjinYcOF?domain=docs.google.com

And a simple form to indicate an Expression of Interest in attendance:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/XNbOC91WPRTmkv4LmTEdPr6?domain=forms.gle

If interested, please fill in the form by April 22.  Please feel free to
share with your international colleagues.

Regards,
Steven

It is often convenient for me to send emails outside business hours.
But I have no expectation of responses outside business hours.
If you receive a one line (or even a one word) email from me, please don't
read anything into it.  I may be busy.  I may be on my phone.

Professor Steven Tingay (He/Him/His)
John Curtin Distinguished Professor

Executive Director
Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy
Curtin University
Bentley, Western Australia
Australia

Deputy Executive Director
International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research

Director
Murchison Widefield Array

Street address:
Brodie Hall building
1 Turner Ave
Technology Park
Bentley 6102
Western Australia

Email:  S.Tingay at curtin.edu.au <s.tingay at curtin.edu.au>

WWW: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nZG-C0YKPvi2GKNq2C2elHd?domain=astronomy.curtin.edu.au
            https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bXpsCgZ0N1ilArEOli3j4xN?domain=icrar.org

Phone: +61 (0)8 9266 4908

Mobile: +61 (0)401 103635

I acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future traditional
custodians and elders of the Nation’s First Peoples and the continuation of
their cultural, spiritual and educational practices. I pay particular
respect to the traditional owners of the land on which our Perth Campus is
located, the Wadjuk people of the Noongar nation, and on our Kalgoorlie
Campus, the Wongutha people of the North-Eastern Goldfields.  And the
Wajarri Yamaji people of the Murchison, the site where we are building the
MWA and the SKA.