[ASA] ASA and the recent ARC Eligibility Issue

John Lattanzio john.lattanzio at monash.edu
Sat Aug 21 13:40:27 AEST 2021

Dear colleagues
    This is a brief note to update you on the situation concerning the
recent ruling on the use of preprints affecting ARC eligibility for the
current round of Discovery Program funding (DECRA, Future Fellowships and
Projects).

Recent news articles here summarise the issue:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/JVmcCMwGxOtqlN2DycwlULk?domain=theguardian.com

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3IlzCNLJyQU0R4ZJqi4tZdc?domain=researchprofessionalnews.com

Please contact me if you or a colleague have been affected, so we have a
good idea of the breadth of the impact in the astronomical community.

The ASA Council and I have been in touch with various organisations
including the AIP and STA, and many others in the physical sciences and
mathematics. The ASA will be coordinating with several of these
organisations to write to the ARC to express concern over this
inappropriate rule that is clearly inconsistent with current research
practice and may dramatically impact careers. Further we understand that
Research Offices, through their DVC-Rs, as well as the Go8, will also be
making the case to the ARC and government. We are actively involved in
discussions with these groups to determine the best course of action.

We will keep you informed of actions and outcomes.

John Lattanzio

--
*I am an LGBTIQ Ally**      -     Find out more at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QNXACOMKzVTpGWNlLHk3-KZ?domain=monash.edu
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/fazhCP7LAXfKlp091sjGhfZ?domain=monash.edu>*

Professor John Lattanzio
President, Astronomical Society of Australia

School of Physics and Astronomy
Monash University Victoria 3800 AUSTRALIA

Ph:  +61 (0)3 9905-4428
WWW: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/kfAWCQnMBZfkx0Xg1FrEPCn?domain=users.monash.edu.au <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GoSDCROND2uvV2GoDIorcHP?domain=maths.monash.edu.au>
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/g7oZCVARKgCxvG2mnTWtsjA?domain=orcid.org