[ASA] The Stibbs Lecture 2021 - Dr Jill Tarter

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Fri Jun 25 00:14:42 AEST 2021

ASA members may be interested in the following Lecture:

Sydney Institute for Astronomy presents
The Stibbs Lecture 2021
delivered by Dr Jill Tarter
[The University of Sydney]
[Dr Jill Tarter; SETI Institute]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/W8DtCZY1Nqi5y6RPzTzYOR6?domain=t.e2ma.net>

Dr Jill Tarter, SETI Institute
A Cosmic Perspective: Searching for Aliens, Finding Ourselves
Thursday 29 July; 4.00pm - 5.30pm (Doors open from 3.30pm)
Messel Lecture Theatre, Sydney Nanoscience Hub, University of Sydney

Are we alone? Humans have been asking this question throughout history.  We want to know where we came from, how we fit into the cosmos, and where we are going.  We want to know whether there is life beyond the Earth and whether any of it is intelligent.

Since the middle of the twentieth century we have had tools that permit us to embark on a scientific exploration to try to answer this old question.  We no longer have to ask the priests and philosophers what we should believe about extra-terrestrial life; we can explore and discover what’s actually out there. Our tools are getting ever better.  We have discovered extremophiles in the most unexpected places on this planet and we have discovered that there really are far more planets than stars out there.  We haven’t yet found life beyond Earth, but there is currently a debate about the detection of Phosphine in the clouds of Venus, and whether this might imply biology. There is a vast amount of other potentially-habitable real estate to explore beyond our solar system, and there are many plans to do just that. The 21st century will be the century in which we will find some answers, this will be your century.

As we look up and look out, we are forced to see ourselves from a cosmic perspective; a perspective that shows us as all the same, all Earthlings.  This perspective is fundamental to finding a way to sustain life on Earth for the long future.

Register to attend in person<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/HZ_yC1WLPxcMK4mn8sGvceE?domain=t.e2ma.net>

Register to attend remotely <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/WmeuC2xMQzipAYGK7CBN-DM?domain=t.e2ma.net>

[Searching the Sky]

About the Speaker

Jill Tarter is the Emeritus Chair for SETI Research at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California and serves as a member of the Board of Trustees for that institution.
Tarter received her Bachelor of Engineering Physics Degree with Distinction from Cornell University and her Master’s Degree and a Ph.D. in Astronomy from the University of California, Berkeley.
She has spent the majority of her professional career attempting to answer the old human question “Are we alone?” by searching for evidence of technological civilizations beyond Earth.
She served as Project Scientist for NASA’s SETI program, the High Resolution Microwave Survey and has conducted numerous observational programs at radio observatories worldwide. She is a Fellow of the AAAS, the California Academy of Sciences, and the Explorers Club, she was named one of the Time 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2004, and one of the Time 25 in Space in 2012, received a TED prize in 2009, two public service awards from NASA, multiple awards for communicating science to the public, and has been honoured as a woman in technology. She was the 2014 Jansky Lecturer, and received a Genius Award from Liberty Science Center in 2015. She served as President of the California Academy of Sciences 2015-16. Asteroid 74824 Tarter (1999 TJ16) has been named in her honour. In 2018 she was recognized with the Maria Mitchell Women in Science Award and the Sir Arthur Clarke Innovator’s Award, and in 2021 she was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Since the termination of funding for NASA’s SETI program in 1993, she has served in a leadership role to design and build the Allen Telescope Array and to secure private funding to continue the exploratory science of SETI. Many people are now familiar with her work as portrayed by Jodie Foster in the movie Contact. Her biography Making Contact was written by Sarah Scoles and published in 2017
Important details

Registration:
Participation can be either remote (via Zoom) or in person (at the Messel Lecture Theatre SNH), select the appropriate option above and please only register once.
Registrations close on Wed 28 July at 4pm AEST.
Attending in person:
Due to COVID restrictions in person attendees will be required to sign into the event on arrival.
In order to be granted entry to University of Sydney campuses, you must meet the following conditions of entry:

  *   You are not showing any symptoms of COVID-19;
  *   You have not had contact with a person who has been confirmed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days;
  *   You have reviewed the NSW Government list of COVID case locations, and if you have visited a relevant location have complied with Government instructions particularly as related to testing;
  *   You have not returned from overseas, or any other location the subject of a current NSW Public Health Order in the past 14 days;
  *   You have not been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting results;
  *   You will follow any relevant COVID-19 Safety Plan requirements advised to you and any reasonable directions of your University host, security staff and/or emergency services.
Getting to the venue:
For in person attendees, information about parking and directions to Sydney Nanoscience Hub (SNH) are included in the Eventbrite registration.
Participant interaction:
There will be the opportunity for both in person and on line participants to ask questions at the end of the lecture. On line participants can submit questions via the chat option in the Zoom Webinar.
Further information:
Please contact stibbs.lecture at sydney.edu.au<mailto:stibbs.lecture at sydney.edu.au>
Further information about the speaker

  *   https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RFqtC3QNPBipVkM7ZCDCZ-C?domain=seti.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RFqtC3QNPBipVkM7ZCDCZ-C?domain=seti.org>  https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UZk8C4QOPEiBGVWYrHVGuog?domain=seti.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UZk8C4QOPEiBGVWYrHVGuog?domain=seti.org>https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wI2tC5QPXJiZOJKgAf8DPN7?domain=books.google.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wI2tC5QPXJiZOJKgAf8DPN7?domain=books.google.com>
Image credits:

  *   Jill Tarter courtesy of Dr Jill Tarter
  *   A boy watches the Milky Way in the sky over the Tatacoa Desert, department of Huila, Colombia courtesy of LUIS ACOSTA/AFP/Getty Images
[cid:image004.gif at 01D76957.17DE12E0]

[The University of Sydney]
Keep in touch
[Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/35sXC6XQ4LfrxN9VXtB9cRZ?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[Twitter]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/b_LVC71R2NTA9g6ELc2IHDS?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[Instagram]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GdtNC81V0PT6xGMO9TEoXfM?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[LinkedIn]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2jsoC91WPRTkP0KR8IQ89if?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[YouTube]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FGyrC0YKPviGlxWJjhp2dc1?domain=t.e2ma.net>
Copyright © May 2021 The University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Phone +61 2 9351 2222 ABN 15 211 513 464 CRICOS Number: 00026A

Please add stibb.lecture at sydney.edu.au<mailto:stibb.lecture at sydney.edu.au> to your address book or senders safe list to make sure you continue to see our emails in the future.

Manage your preferences | Opt out <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vKZ7CgZ0N1iAn3WP8cxjfak?domain=t.e2ma.net> using TrueRemove®
View this email online
Disclaimer<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wlF-CjZ1N7inkrJlgFJ9fCT?domain=t.e2ma.net> | Privacy statement<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/8OHWCk81N9tOZE0YgTzW2PV?domain=t.e2ma.net> | University of Sydney<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/aKNpClx1Nji2DrKOLI4ILvl?domain=t.e2ma.net>

—————————————————————————
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE (he/his)
Associate Dean (Student Life), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.
Sydney Institute for Astronomy | School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28
T +61 2 9351 3184  (forwarded when off campus)
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au<mailto:john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au>  | W  https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/P6AUCmO5glujGxY1vhlQDwQ?domain=sydney.edu.au
My work hours may differ from yours. If you receive this email out of hours, please don’t feel obliged to reply. Work-life balance is important.