[ASA] Maunkea Spectroscopic Explorer Workshop Announcement

Andrew Hopkins andrew.hopkins at mq.edu.au
Mon Jun 7 15:12:07 AEST 2021

Dear Australian/Chinese MSE enthusiasts,

  Thanks to ACAMAR, we are running a workshop focused on MSE (Maunakea Spectroscopic Explorer<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/G_EUCgZ0N1iAK7q85hNkAdB?domain=mse.cfht.hawaii.edu>) and other next-generation MOS facilities, aimed at sharing activities and interests in the Australian and Chinese communities, to bring our communities closer together, and enhance our shared work toward making MSE a reality.

The workshop will be virtual, held using zoom, over Wed-Fri 25-27 Aug 2021.
The timing will be a 3-4 hr window each day during:
10am-2pm Sydney
8am-12pm Perth
8am-12pm Beijing
2pm-6pm Hawaii
Depending on interest and how the schedule evolves we may shorten this by an hour (to a 3hr window daily), TBD.

The broad format of the workshop is anticipated as follows.
Day 1:
• Scope and scene setting by the MSE Project Office and Management Group teams.
• Scientific presentations, and discussion of how to combine Australian and Chinese research contributions, to maximise the scientific impact of MOS facilities.
Day 2:
• Technical presentations, discussion of each community’s expertise and opportunities to partner on technical developments.
• Discussion of how to capitalise on each other’s expertise to ensure successful delivery of key technologies required for the facility.
Day 3:
• Discussion of pragmatic ways to align the Australian and Chinese interests and areas of expertise to maximise the opportunity for realising the delivery of MSE and related facilities.
• Discussion of funding resources and opportunities, and how to align Chinese and Australian partnership to ensure these can be capitalised on.

If you are interested in giving a presentation, please email Laurie Date (ldale at cfht.hawaii.edu<mailto:ldale at cfht.hawaii.edu>) by 30 June with your name, affiliation, talk title and abstract. We are keen to hear technical as well as scientific presentations, along with those that touch on policy/funding/partnership to ensure we consider all avenues in exploring closer engagement.

The SOC for the workshop is:
Andrew Hopkins
Eric Peng
Simon Driver
Xiaoting Fu
Sarah Martell
Aaron Robotham
Suijian Xue
Gongbo Zhao

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Andrew and Eric
—
Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Professor of Astronomy
Australian Astronomical Optics, Macquarie University
105 Delhi Rd, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia
+61 2 9372 4849