[ASA] 2021 GALAH Survey Science Meeting (22 to 24 June)

Jeffrey Simpson jeffrey.simpson at unsw.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 11:20:16 AEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the 2021 GALAH Survey Science Meeting, to be held from 22 to 24 June 2021. It will have a hybrid format with people both online, and meeting in-person in Sydney, Australia.

The GALAH Survey is an ongoing, ambitious stellar spectroscopic survey of the local Galactic volume, acquiring high-resolution optical spectra for over one million stars with the HERMES spectrograph at the Anglo-Australian Telescope. GALAH had its Third Data Release in November 2020, which provided reduced spectra, stellar parameters, elemental abundances, and radial velocities for about 600000 stars. Subsequent to this release was the Third Early Data Release from the Gaia astrometric mission. The combination of these two data releases has provided an unprecedented view of our Galaxy. This conference aims to bring together researchers to present the latest research taking place using the GALAH survey, Gaia, and other stellar surveys.

The GALAH Survey and other stellar surveys facilitate a wide breadth of topics. Scientific themes we are interested in talks on include:

  *   Galactic chemical evolution
  *   Galactic chemodynamics
  *   Galactic migration
  *   The accreted halo
  *   Stellar streams

This conference will use a hybrid format. For our Australian and New Zealand colleagues, we will be meeting in-person on the campus of the University of New South Wales in Sydney from 22 to 24 June 2021. For our international colleagues, it will highly unlikely that you will be able to travel to Australia, so you will be able to present and participate virtually. We will set aside time at the start and end of day for people to present via zoom at times friendly to your time zone. If the COVID-19 situation changes in Sydney, we will move the conference to fully online.

The 2021 GALAH Science Meeting will be free to attend. Please register using this form https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-VfiCwV1vMfGyqrqxFV-Se2?domain=forms.office.com to indicate how you will be attending and if you would like to present your work. If you wish to be considered for a presentation slot, please complete the form by Friday 21 May; otherwise, please complete the form by 11 June.

There will be some travel support available for people travelling from outside of NSW, with preference given to early career researchers presenting their work. We will also have free on-site childcare.

Up-to-date information on the schedule and logistics can be found at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/txJsCxngwOf1x7N7vIv3Y5S?domain=2021-galah-survey.github.io<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/txJsCxngwOf1x7N7vIv3Y5S?domain=2021-galah-survey.github.io/>

Please distribute this to people who would be interested in attending or presenting.

Kind regards

Jeffrey Simpson (on behalf of the organizing committee)