[ASA] Applications open for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Radio Astronomy Surveys

Hotan, Aidan (CASS, Kensington WA) Aidan.Hotan at csiro.au
Mon Mar 29 17:41:40 AEDT 2021

Greetings all,

We are seeking a PhD graduate or Early Career Researcher to join CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science in an exciting role aimed at conducting science with the Rapid ASKAP Continuum Survey (RACS: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AvTEC3QNPBipX0G3zcgWRtx?domain=research.csiro.au). This new survey is an observatory project designed to update our knowledge of the radio sky at frequencies between 700 - 1800 MHz using our latest radio telescope, the Australian SKA Pathfinder. This array of 36 antennas uses Phased Array Feed technology to image a wide field of view, allowing it to conduct extremely rapid surveys. The first RACS pass was completed in roughly 300 hours of observing time and is already in the public domain, covering over 80% of the sky in one of three planned frequency bands.

The successful candidate will work with the ASKAP operations and data processing teams to analyse and catalogue the next two frequency bands, observations for one of which are already complete. The successful candidate will be able to pursue science goals of their own choosing, maximising the utility of this state-of-the-art resource and learning skills that will be highly sought-after in the SKA era.

Due to global travel restrictions, this position is only open to applicants who are Australian/New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia. We are seeking to fill the position quickly and would strongly prefer candidates willing to commence before June 30.

CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science is committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace culture, and to implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplace. CSIRO offers a range of flexible working arrangements to support these initiatives.

Interested candidates are encouraged to apply at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/sxQ_C4QOPEiBz3mPKIx2ghP?domain=career10.successfactors.com

Best regards,
Aidan Hotan, ASKAP Project Scientist