[ASA] First announcement: “The Renaissance of the Low Surface Brightness Universe” at the EAS Annual Meeting 2021

Sarah Brough s.brough at unsw.edu.au
Tue Jan 12 14:07:07 AEDT 2021

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	First announcement: “The Renaissance of the Low Surface
Brightness Universe” at the EAS Annual Meeting 2021
Date: 	Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:57:29 +1100
From: 	Cristina Martinez Lombilla <c.martinezlombilla at unsw.edu.au>
To: 	Cristina Martinez Lombilla <c.martinezlombilla at unsw.edu.au>
CC: 	mireia Montes Quiles <mmontesquiles at stsci.edu>,
aferremateu at icc.ub.edu <aferremateu at icc.ub.edu>

/
Dear colleagues,

We are excited to announce the symposium***“**The Renaissance of the Low
Surface Brightness Universe**”* to be held as part of the European
Astronomy Society Annual meeting taking place virtually from June 30 to
July 1, 2021.

The symposium will review the work within the field, from the smallest
to the largest scales, bringing experts from both theory and
observations together to shape a panchromatic view of the hidden Universe.

Further details can be found at the conference website:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nyt8CjZ1N7ivPZqvSW6Blm?domain=eas.unige.ch
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nyt8CjZ1N7ivPZqvSW6Blm?domain=eas.unige.ch>
/
/
/
/We would appreciate if you could circulate this widely among your
colleagues./
/
/
//
/Best regards,/
/Anna Ferré-Mateu, Cristina Martínez-Lombilla and Mireia Montes.**/
/
/
/**On behalf of the SOC./
//

      Symposium: The Renaissance of the Low Surface Brightness
      Universe(*S12*)

      The LSB Universe is key for a broad community and this symposium
      aims to address the most pressing questions:

        * How can the state-of-the-art data analysis techniques - which
          preserve LSB features - be implemented in the next generation
          of surveys like LSST and EUCLID, where the European community
          has invested?
        * Can we export the detailed knowledge from resolved studies of
          the Milky Way to other neighboring galaxies to better
          understand their outskirts?
        * What constraints do tidal tails provide on interacting
          galaxies? Do LSB observations agree with numerical predictions
          on the amount and properties of dark matter substructures?
        * Do simulations reproduce the properties of LSB galaxies? How
          can the next generation of telescopes resolve the kinematics
          and populations of their stellar and gas components?
        * Can we constrain the accretion history of clusters by
          understanding the nature of the Intracluster light (ICL)?

      Important information & Dates

Dates: June 30‐ July 1, 2021
Venue: Virtual (hosted by the EAS)
*Registration & Abstract submission opens: *January 15, 2021
*Webpage:* https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nyt8CjZ1N7ivPZqvSW6Blm?domain=eas.unige.ch
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nyt8CjZ1N7ivPZqvSW6Blm?domain=eas.unige.ch>

      Confirmed Invited Speakers

      Prof. Jean Brodie (Swinburne University of Technology - Australia)

      Dr. Arianna Di Cintio (IAC - Spain)

      Prof. Eva Grebel (ARI-Heidelberg - Germany)

      Mr. Raúl Infante-Sainz (IAC - Spain)

      Dr. Enrica Iodice (INAF-OAC - Italy)

      Dr. Tomás Ruiz-Lara (Kapteyn Astronomical Institute - The Netherlands)

      Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC)

      Dr. Anna Ferré-Mateu (co-chair, ICCUB - Spain)

      Dr. Cristina Martínez-Lombilla (co-chair, UNSW - Australia)

      Dr. Mireia Montes (co-chair, STScI - USA)

      Prof. Magda Arnaboldi (ESO - Germany)

      Prof. Sarah Brough (UNSW - Australia)

      Prof. Pierre-Alain Duc (OAS - France)

      Prof. Johan Knapen (IAC - Spain)