[ASA] ASA COVID-fund: input requested

Cathryn Trott Cathryn.Trott at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jul 9 12:06:21 AEST 2020

Dear ASA Members,

As described in the President's Report** to the AGM yesterday, ASA Council is proposing a "COVID-fund" to provide financial support for members in their professional activities.

The ASA Strategic Plan highlighted support for students (and ECRs) in our community. With the savings in travel funds for students in 2020 due to COVID-19 restricting travel, Council has been discussing ways in which we can support the community. Council are proposing a COVID-fund to re-purpose some of the unspent funds. Points for consideration:

     *   Open to all members, but priority for students and ECRs
     *   Available for non-salary related expenses associated with scientific research. Options include, but are not limited to, online conference registration fees, interim childcare during conferences, travel to observatories, travel to domestic meetings, professional development and career development programs to increase job prospects.
     *   Proposals capped at $1,500 per person (but with the expectation of smaller requests), and a total available capped fund from ASA surplus.

ASA Council are seeking feedback from the members about the proposal, and its scope. In particular, we seek input on the range of non-salary professional activities that may be considered, and the prioritisation of membership groups for the fund.

Feedback is requested to me, via email, by COB Friday July 17.

Input will be collated and discussed within ASA Council.

Regards,
Cathryn

** Report available at: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-ZTTCp81lrtMKw1gCP-g1w?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au

Cathryn Trott

Associate Professor
ARC Future Fellow

President, Astronomical Society of Australia

ARC Centre of Excellence for All Sky Astrophysics in 3D (ASTRO 3D)

International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research
Curtin University
Bentley WA, Australia

cathryn.trott at curtin.edu.au