[ASA] GWDC user survey

alex codoreanu alex.codoreanu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:27:04 AEST 2020

Hello ASA,

Could you please forward the following to all ASA members on behalf of
Swinburne's Gravitational Wave Data Centre:

Hi All,

The Gravitational Wave Data Centre (GWDC) was officially established in
August 2019. It is funded from the National Collaborative Research
Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) with support from Astronomy Australia
Limited (AAL). The GWDC is hosted at Swinburne University of Technology
alongside the Swinburne node of the Astronomy Data and Computing Services
(ADACS) team that has been providing a generalised data and computing
service to the national astronomy community from early 2017.

The primary aims of the GWDC are to provide the infrastructure, training
and support to enable gravitational wave researchers nationally to lead the
discovery of events from the latest data on an international scale and to
maximise the scientific impact of these discoveries. Data coverage includes
the Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational wave Observatory (aLIGO)
and Virgo detectors, pulsar timing data from the Square Kilometre Array
(SKA) and precursor facilities, as well as any related simulation data.

The GWDC has been operating for nearly a year now - we started in 2019 and
became fully staffed in March 2020 - so we would like to seek feedback from
you on how the GWDC has done to date and what it should focus on in the
future. Our primary target audience is obviously the gravitational wave
research community. However, we would welcome input from any astronomer who
thinks they may have a need to interact with gravitational wave data and/or
researchers in the future. We are interested in responses from those who
have already used GWDC services and those who have not as yet.

Please take the time to complete the survey which you can find here
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/g6mpCq71mwf6r5V4uZuv-v?domain=forms.gle>. We expect it will take about 10
minutes of your time.

The survey closes Wednesday June 17th.

Please use gwdc-survey at adacs.org.au if you have any queries related to the