[ASA] ECR Mentoring Workshop 2020 and Beyond Astro Workshop I

Orsola De Marco orsola.demarco at mq.edu.au
Thu Feb 20 22:02:53 AEDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

The ASA Early Career Researcher Chapter is pleased to announce our next combined event:

ECR Mentoring Workshop; Wednesday-Friday 6-8 May

and

Beyond Astro Workshop I; Saturday 9 May, sponsored by ASTRO3D

They will be held in the Blue Mountains area near Sydney at the Fairmont Resort (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bf7hCK1qJZt22LVAZsMcpXO?domain=fairmontresort.com.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/liMiCL7rK8tRRL6oluq2ccs?domain=protect-au.mimecast.com>).

These combined workshops aim to discuss career planning, both academic and industry based, along with leadership and skill building. The workshops will give attendees the opportunity to learn important (non-research) skills for advancing their career in academia or switching to industry, expand their network, and receive advice and guidance from our panel of mentors, all in a relaxed setting.

Beyond Astro I, on Saturday the 9th May, will be the first in a series, and will bring together a diverse panel of Astronomy PhDs with thriving careers outside of the traditional academic-researcher role. This workshop is sponsored by ASTRO 3D ARC Centre of Excellence.

These workshops are intended for late-stage PhD students, postdocs and very junior faculty. In past years we have had around 30 participants and always have a diverse group of speakers and attendees, all in a family friendly environment.

The conference website and registration page will be announced soon.  If you would like to make travel arrangements now, then the bus from Sydney to the venue will leave by 4 pm on Wednesday, and drop-off at Sydney around 6:30 pm on Saturday. Depending on the attendance, there may be an additional Friday evening pickup from Sydney for the Beyond Astro I attendees, and another drop-off on Friday evening for the ECR Mentoring Workshop attendees. The daily sessions will be from 9 am-4:30 pm.

Please pass this message on to your colleagues; ASA members are encouraged to join the ECR Chapter by emailing the ECR Chapter Steering Committee <mailto:asa.ecr.chapter at gmail.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gD9HCMwvLQTqqjNovTJUCyO?domain=protect-au.mimecast.com>>.
We will be in touch shortly with further details. Please plan to join us!

See you there!

The Organising Committee

(Manodeep Sinha, Sarah Martell, Orsola De Marco, Lucy Strang, Kathryn Grasha, Nichole Barry, Jane Kaczmarek, Christian Reichadt, Tiantian Yuan, Tania Barone)