[ASA] Workshop announcement: "Apples to oranges: a comparison of the simulated and observed Universe”

Trevor Mendel trevor.mendel at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 5 15:46:42 AEST 2019

Dear Colleagues ,

It is our pleasure to announce the workshop “Apples to oranges: a comparison of the
simulated and observed Universe”, which will take place the week of Nov. 18-22nd, 2019 in
the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia.  The focus of this workshop will be on
facilitating a fair and meaningful comparison between simulations and observations
spanning sub-galactic, galactic, and halo scales.  Our plan is for this meeting to be
highly interactive, with several invited talks each day and the remaining time divided
between science highlights and less-structured time to focus on developing projects and
collaborations.

The event will be held at the Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
(https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9NwrCjZrzqHrPYZGIWJjOi?domain=oakshotels.com).  The registration fee for the
workshop is AUD$450, which includes lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and a
welcome BBQ dinner on Monday evening. The Oaks Resort offers a range of room options from
single rooms (AUD$165/night) to 2/3/4 bedroom Villas (AUD$200-550/night).  On-site
childcare will be provided.  You can find additional information on the website here:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/303pCk8vAZtE1koXHV7d_m?domain=jtmendel.wixsite.com.

To register your interest, please fill out the following form
(https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/_G1BClxwB5Crp16PIy1yUY?domain=forms.gle) by no later than Wednesday, September 27th.  We will
then contact you with payment details and information regarding accommodation.  Space is
limited to around 40 participants.

Please get in touch if you have any questions, and we hope to see you all in the Hunter
Valley!

Cheers,
Trevor Mendel (on behalf of the SOC)

SOC: Emily Wisnioski, Lilian Garratt-Smithson, Rob Bassett, Tiantian Yuan,
Jesse van de Sande, and Trevor Mendel