[ASA] Reminder: PASA Submission Policy

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Thu May 30 20:40:15 AEST 2019

Dear ASA Members,

I'm writing regarding submission of multi-author papers to PASA. It is a requirement that papers are only submitted to PASA with the explicit agreement of all co-authors. Recently, we have had cases where Australian-led large-team papers have been submitted to PASA without the agreement of co-authors, or in one recent example explicitly *against* the wishes of co-authors.

Submitting papers in such circumstances clearly violates PASA's submission policies and authors will be asked to withdraw such papers in the first instance (or they will be rejected). If you are the submitting author on a paper it is your responsibility to ensure papers go through all co-authors and the appropriate commenting and agreement process prior to submission. Post submission is not an acceptable time to gain co-author agreement.

Additionally, it is the responsibility of all authors to ensure the contents of a paper are suitable for publication by that team. Again, we recently received complaints of people submitting papers without approval of the project PI and/or in a misleading manner around some of the paper contents.  It is not the responsibility of PASA to deal with external collaboration disputes after submission, that is not fair either on the PASA Editorial Board or the referees.

Further information on the PASA code of ethics can be found here:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/klGyCmOxDQtND6VvTGOMMt?domain=cambridge.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/klGyCmOxDQtND6VvTGOMMt?domain=cambridge.org>

Complaints about violation of PASA policies can be directed to me. Likewise, questions around the above message.

Finally, PASA remains committed to support high-quality papers from the Australian and global astronomical communities, and strongly welcomes team papers, particularly from Australia-led survey teams. Where policy violations do occur, we are happy to accept resubmissions of papers after any policy violation issues have been corrected.

Best regards,

Melanie
PASA Editor-in-Chief

—————————————————————————
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”
—————————————————————————

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Dean (Student Life), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au<mailto:john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au>  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/people/john.obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.