[ASA] Derogatory survey response

Stuart Wyithe swyithe at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 15 10:48:03 AEST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Unfortunately, in reply to a recent survey of ASA members, one respondent made a derogatory comment about the spoken English of a member of our community. Specifically, they requested that the individual's responsibilities should be given to 'an Australian'.

The astronomical community has generally enthusiastically embraced diversity within the community. Indeed, many of us were raised overseas, and many do not have English as a first language. In this particular case, the individual in question is indeed Australian; regardless, that response to the survey was not acceptable.

In every sense, both as we conduct ourselves locally, and as part of the international community, we must have respect for diversity. That respect includes investing effort to communicate with those for whom English is not their first language.

This event serves as a timely reminder that it is the policy of the ASA that its members and all participants in its activities are able to enjoy an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment of any form (see ASA Code of Ethics<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lEt9CzvOWKiVX3wqI4NWwI?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au>).

Best Regards,

Stuart Wyithe

(ASA President)

Stuart Wyithe | Head, School of Physics
School of Physics | Faculty of Science
Room 104, David Caro Building 192
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 5420 and +61 3 8344 5083
E: swyithe at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:swyithe at unimelb.edu.au>

Shirley Els | Executive Assistant - Head, School of Physics
T: +61 3 8344 5453   E: shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au>