[ASA] Travel Support now open for the Harley Wood School of Astronomy

Josh Calcino josh.calcino at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 12:34:34 AEST 2019

Greetings!

The local organising committee of the Harley Wood School of Astronomy
(HWSA) is pleased to announce that we have secured a limited amount of
travel funding for participants. The school will be situated on the
beautiful North Stradebroke island.

The main theme of our school this year is Do It Yourself. Everything within
our program will be interactive, so you'll be learning the best way you
can, by getting your hands dirty! During our school, you will learn how to
write optimised and beautiful code in Python, so you can spend more time
doing science and less time looking up answers on Stackoverflow.

Our program will also have content that will help you prepare for the
mental battle of a PhD, and what career paths you may choose when you level
up. Plus, we will have a unique panel discussion focused on how you can
communicate your science to a variety of audiences and through different
media (e.g. through oral presentations, YouTube videos, books, and online
articles).

If that's not enough fun, we will be offering sand-boarding for the
dare-devils among you, or some delicious gelato for those who would like to
chill out (all included in the registration fee!).

*So if you are interested in joining us, please register using at the link
below.*
https://research.smp.uq.edu.au/asa2019/harley/

*If you would like to apply for travel support, please also fill out the
Google form below by the 10th of May.*
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mbt1Cp8AJQtm4LAKUPSCLj?domain=forms.gle

We will do our best to contact travel support recipients the week following
the close of the travel support form.

We hope to see you there!

Warm regards (the average winter high in Brisbane is 22 degrees Celsius 😉),
Josh Calcino
On behalf of the HWSA LOC.