[ASA] First Announcement: Astronomical Data Archives meeting, August 5-8 2019, Sydney Australia

Simon O'Toole simon.otoole at mq.edu.au
Tue Mar 26 16:26:56 AEDT 2019

Data Central is pleased to announce a meeting on Astronomical Data Archives, to be held on 5-8 August at AAO Macquarie, Sydney Australia.

The meeting website is here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KWCiCvl0PoCpqM7RIQQSHK?domain=docs.datacentral.org.au

Motivation

The goals of the meeting are to determine what areas of data archives we can collaborate on, and where we can share information, data and code. There is a lot of great work being done here with new technologies (as seen at the ADASS and IVOA meetings), and it would be great to avoid duplicating effort. And of course we’re all interested in interoperability.

Themes

  *   Exploring different technologies for storage and querying (SQL, noSQL, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, etc, what works and what doesn't)
  *   Beyond Data Storage (What services should archives offer and what do they currently?)
  *   Interoperability (incl. IVOA)
  *   Tools (incl. access control and code-to-the-data)
  *   User Interfaces and User Experience
  *   Hardware (incl. cloud vs hosted vs hybrid)

The meeting will be a mix of talks, Birds of a Feather sessions, mini-workshops, a networking session, and a discussion about things to take away from the meeting and possibly report on at a future meeting. We are also planning a poster session, however the posters would display the full stack of a participant’s data archive rather than research or projects.

Registration

The Early Bird fee is $250 AUD (the Standard fee after 31 May 2019 is $300 AUD). Registration is now open via the meeting website above.

Organising Committee

Simon O'Toole (AAO/Data Central)

Elizabeth Mannering (AAO/Data Central)

Katrina Sealey (AAO/Data Central)