[ASA] Astronomy Data Science Project and Software Support position available at Swinburne

Jarrod Hurley jhurley at swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 8 14:00:07 AEDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Swinburne University of Technology is pleased to announce an exciting astronomy-focussed data science employment opportunity within

the Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing working as part of our growing Astronomy Data and Computing Services (ADACS) team.

In this Data Science Project and Software Support role the successful applicant will be part of a highly motivated, diversely qualified

team of experts ensuring successful delivery of high-performance computing and data science programs focussed on astronomy

research outcomes. The role includes software engineering and testing, research and development activities and training. The successful

applicant will work both independently and directly with other members of the ADACS team, as well as with members of the Australian

and international astronomy communities.

This is a full-time, 2-year fixed term position with a starting salary from $97,837 and 17% superannuation (part-time options are available and there will be opportunities to extend the contract dependent on future funding).

The person ideally suited to this role will:

- be an impressive individual with a passion for applying professional data science and high performance

  computing methodologies to enable or accelerate astronomical discovery;

- have a degree in computer science, software engineering or information technology with relevant experience

  or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training within an astronomy context;

- have extensive experience in software development;

- have a demonstrated ability to deliver software development (or closely related) projects on time and on budget with successful end-user outcomes.

Applications close at 5pm on 5th April 2019.

The full advertisement, including the position description and instructions on how to apply, are available at:

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/kMIjCYWL1viKGqW2f09MTt?domain=swinjobs.nga.net.au

The diverse culture within Swinburne is a source of strength. We have an inclusive working environment with employees from

a variety of backgrounds. We acknowledge that diversity in the university workforce increases the effectiveness of teams and

our capacity for innovation. We welcome applications from Indigenous people, workers of all ages, people with disabilities,

people who identify as LGBTIQ and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could bring this to the attention of potential applicants and circulate widely.

Best regards,

Jarrod Hurley