[ASA] ASA membership updates

Yeshe Fenner yeshefenner at swin.edu.au
Mon Feb 18 11:59:28 AEDT 2019

To ASA members,

Thanks to all the ASA members who have renewed their membership for 2019.  If you haven’t yet, please remember that a discount applies to payments made by the end of February, so renew now!  Also encourage your colleagues and students to join and support the astronomical community.

Note: we have introduced the following new membership initiatives:

  *   If you are working overseas, please remember that this year we have introduced a new ASA membership status for International members to recognise your lesser ability to engage in ASA-supported activities.  It will reduce the cost of membership to encourage members who leave Australia, especially recent PhD graduates, to stay engaged with the ASA and the Australian astronomical community.  The membership fee is now the same as the Student membership, less the 10% GST.

  *   An extra new initiative is the introduction of alumni status.  If you are dropping your membership (hopefully not, but…) you can now elect to remain as a (free) member of the alumni of the ASA. You will not receive regular ASA emails or other benefits of ASA membership but you may receive occasional updates on ASA activities and invitations to share the story of your career path with our ECR members - especially if it is outside of astronomy.  This is one step to improve the awareness of all our members of the broad career opportunities that astronomy may offer.

If either of these are of interest, please update your address details in the membership system and send an email to asa.secretary at sydney.edu.au<mailto:asa.secretary at sydney.edu.au> to request a move to a new status.  Retired members are now also handled the same way.

Any questions about membership or payments should go to the membership Secretary, John O’Byrne, at asa.secretary at sydney.edu.au<mailto:asa.secretary at sydney.edu.au>, or the Treasurer, Yeshe Fenner, at asa.treasurer at sydney.edu.au<mailto:asa.treasurer at sydney.edu.au>

Best wishes for the year ahead,

John O'Byrne and Yeshe Fenner

P.S.  When renewing your membership, don’t forget the Foundation for the Advancement of Astronomy (FAA) (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UtZWCP7yOZt1loD6UzBrXk?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au) which is the ASA’s channel for accepting tax-deductible donations. Donations allow us to consider new initiatives to support the astronomical community.

Dr Yeshe Fenner, PhD | Chief Operating Officer

ARC Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav)
Faculty of Science Engineering and Technology
Swinburne University of Technology
PO Box 218 Hawthorn Vic 3122
Ph +61 3 9214 8302 | Mobile: 0430 708 995

[1497405341108_Email-sig-logos-small.png]

(CRICOS Provider 00111D)