[ASA] Extragalactic Science - Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy - deadline 18th February 2019

Nick Seymour nick.seymour at curtin.edu.au
Sat Feb 9 12:44:11 AEDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Please pass on to anyone interested this opportunity to work with the MWA in the areas of galaxy evolution, radio galaxy life-cycles, clusters and the cosmic web. Apologies for cross-posting.

thanks,

Nick
Extragalactic Science - Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy (CIRA)
Job No: CURTIN430
Location: Perth

  *   3 years fixed term, full-time - Teaching & Research (ALA/ALB) position
  *   $86,832 - $93,178 (ALA) plus 17% Superannuation
  *   $98,059 - $116,369 (ALB) plus 17% Superannuation
  *   Reasonable relocation expenses for the successful candidate and their family may be available, subject to negotiation

We are seeking a new Lecturer or Associate Lecturer, funded by the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research, to contribute to our research and teaching programs.  This position will be focused particularly on scientific exploitation of new extragalactic survey data from the recently-upgraded Murchison Widefield Array (MWA; https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pYOwClxwB5Cwo68xiG3mFI?domain=mwatelescope.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pYOwClxwB5Cwo68xiG3mFI?domain=mwatelescope.org>); a low-frequency radio telescope for which Curtin University is the lead and managing organisation.

You will use your in-depth subject matter knowledge of extragalactic radio astronomy to enable and deliver new scientific publications from processed MWA data products. We particularly welcome applications from candidates with expertise in one or more of our priority science areas: life cycles of radio galaxies, physics of galaxy clusters, detection and characterisation of the cosmic web, and radio source population studies.

In addition to data from the MWA, the candidate will have the opportunity to leverage the numerous multi-wavelength surveys Australian astronomers have access to (e.g. Skymapper, ASKAP, GAMA, Taipan) and to exploit Australia’s partnership with the European Southern Observatory (ESO; https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4DO6CmOxDQto5k3zSOq4wW?domain=eso.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9KvJCnxyErCZGr2vSNgvF6?domain=eso.org>) to conduct novel research exploiting the synergies between MWA and other multi-wavelength facilities.

You will work closely with our established MWA science team, complementing their skills with your experience in radio and multi-wavelength astronomy and obtaining follow-up observations to understand the nature of MWA radio sources.

You will work openly and in close collaboration with existing teams from across the 21 MWA partner institutions in delivering new science results from existing and ongoing MWA surveys. You will be widely respected for your collaborative qualities.

You will work closely with students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, supervising research projects and contributing to the delivery of appropriate teaching units within the University.  You may also have the opportunity to engage with sectors outside academia to translate astronomical skills and tools into end user-facing applications.

This position will be based at the Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy (CIRA), located on the Bentley Campus of Curtin University. The position will involve liaising with collaborators at MWA partner institutes both in Australia and overseas, and may involve regular travel between these institutes.

At Curtin, we are committed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reconciliation, diversity and social justice and aim to create an inclusive environment where our staff and students are valued and inspired. This includes a supportive recruitment process should you require any access assistance.

Applications close: 5pm AWT, Monday 18 February 2019

Further details: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2JmoCoVzGQiVX6RET6-x5W?domain=applynow.net.au