[ASA] Reminder: registrations open for "SciCoder: The Australian Tour presented by ASTRO 3D"

Sarah Martell s.martell at unsw.edu.au
Fri Oct 12 09:27:54 AEDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

This is a reminder to please register for the upcoming SciCoder
workshops in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.

Registrations are open for "SciCoder: The Australian Tour presented by
ASTRO 3D" for the 3 different workshop locations across Australia. The
registration fee will be $330 and the attendance is capped at 40 at each
location. We encourage you to sign up early; depending on the
attendance, we may open up registrations to the broader Australian
research community. You can register via the following links:

  * Perth, Oct 29 - Nov 2: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vEGoCvl0PoCGJnvJfQYIPl?domain=trybooking.com
  * Melbourne, Nov 19 - Nov 23: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Gug8CwVLQmi75Eo5tqEt2f?domain=trybooking.com
  * Sydney, Dec 3 - Dec 7: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iaGtCxnMRvtyp5ZpHY8kBN?domain=trybooking.com

The SciCoder workshop is created and presented by Dr. Demitri Muna who
has been offering this training since 2010. SciCoder is targeted to
those who have not had much (or any) formal training in writing software
but learned it piecemeal in the context of their research. The workshop
is appropriate for early career researchers (grad students, postdocs) as
well as anyone who would like focussed training on software development.
Those who write basic scripts in languages like IDL or Python and would
like to transition to writing object-oriented code and reusable
libraries will particularly benefit. Topics covered include (also see
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MD4fCyoNVrcgGPYGSRLe9R?domain=scicoder.org

  * Modern programming practices
  * Version control with git and github
  * Unit tests to ensure software continues to work as expected
  * Tools to improve software development environment (command-line,
    regular expressions etc)
  * Database design, the SQL query language, and interacting with
    databases from python
  * Advanced topics include multi-processing, the R language, and a
    special section on Astropy

The SciCoder workshops have been enabled by ASTRO 3D and ADACS, along
with UniMelb, UNSW, ICRAR, USyd and the Hunstead Gift for Astrophysics,
OzGrav, CASS, and the ASA. We have limited funds available to support
suitable attendees. Please email us (asa.ecr.chapter at gmail.com) with a
short description (300 words or less) of how the workshop will be
particularly beneficial to you, and a justification for the financial
support request. We will try our best to accommodate as many requests as
possible to maximize attendance broadly.

*Relevant Deadlines:**
*
1. Registrations stay open till first workshop day (capped at 40 attendees)
2. Review of financial requests start on Monday, Oct 15.

Please feel free to reach out the ASA Early Career Researcher Chapter
Steering Committee if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Manodeep Sinha,
Chair, ASA ECR Chapter Steering Committee
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/D1fOCzvOWKi3XYKXSosSP3?domain=asa-ecr.org
asa.ecr.chapter at gmail.com