[ASA] 4-year Senior Research Fellow working with MWA

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Sun Sep 30 22:33:33 AEST 2018

Dear All,

Please pass the following advert for a 4-year senior research fellow working with the MWA on to all appropriate networks.

Cheers,
Melanie

Senior Research Fellow (ALC) - Physics and Astronomy
Job No: CURTIN333
Location: Bentley, Perth

4 years fixed term, full-time

$120,028 - $138,340 (ALC) plus 17% superannuation

We are seeking a new Senior Research Fellow, funded by the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research, to work on scientific exploitation of new survey data from the recently-upgraded Murchison Widefield Array (MWA; https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UnFECmOxDQtZjQEEhGHlkU?domain=mwatelescope.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UnFECmOxDQtZjQEEhGHlkU?domain=mwatelescope.org>); a low-frequency radio telescope for which Curtin University is the lead and managing organisation.

You will use your in-depth subject matter knowledge of extragalactic radio astronomy to enable and deliver new scientific publications from MWA data products. We particularly welcome applications from candidates with expertise in one or more of our priority science areas: life cycles of radio galaxies, physics of galaxy clusters, detection and characterisation of the cosmic web, and radio source population studies.

In addition to data from the MWA, the candidate will have the opportunity to leverage the numerous multi-wavelength surveys Australian astronomers have access to (e.g. Skymapper, ASKAP, GAMA, Taipan) and to exploit Australia’s partnership with the European Southern Observatory (ESO; https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/w4q3CnxyErCz7RMMtJOEQe?domain=eso.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0cCXCoVzGQiMryxxTV_4Dy?domain=eso.org>) to conduct novel research exploiting the synergies between MWA and other multi-wavelength facilities.

This position will be based at the Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy (CIRA), located on the Bentley Campus of Curtin University. The position will involve liaising with collaborators at MWA partner institutes both in Australia and overseas, and may involve regular travel between these institutes.

At Curtin, we are committed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reconciliation, diversity and social justice and aim to create an inclusive environment where our staff and students are valued and inspired. This includes a supportive recruitment process should you require any access assistance.

Applications close: 5 pm, Wednesday 31 October 2018

Further details: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PEx9Cp8AJQtGnRXXFGreVs?domain=applynow.net.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PEx9Cp8AJQtGnRXXFGreVs?domain=applynow.net.au>

Professor Melanie Johnston-Hollitt
BSc (Hons - Physics), BSc (Math. & Comp. Sci.), PhD
Director, Murchison Widefield Array | Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy
Professor | International Centre of Radio Astronomy
Editor in Chief, Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia

Curtin University
Tel | +61 8 9266 9104
Mobile | +64 22 4303694
Email | Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at curtin.edu.au<mailto:Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at curtin.edu.au>