[ASA] 2018 ICRAR/CASS Radio School - 2nd announcement

Tobias Westmeier tobias.westmeier at uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 22 14:45:14 AEST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

This is the second announcement of the 2018 ICRAR/CASS Radio School to
be held in Geraldton, Western Australia, in the week of October 1-5,
2018. The School is jointly hosted by the International Centre for Radio
Astronomy Research and CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science, with generous
support from the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre. We welcome further
registrations until the deadline of

   Friday, 6 July 2018.

While past Radio Schools in Australia have traditionally been designed
around the ATCA and Parkes, we are now turning our focus towards the new
capabilities provided by the SKA precursor telescopes in Western
Australia, namely ASKAP and the MWA.

In addition to teaching the fundamentals of radio interferometry, the
School will introduce participants to hands-on reduction of data from
ASKAP and MWA. With the advent of science operations on ASKAP and MWA
phase 2, the School also intends to facilitate more cross-use of the two
facilities and to expose participants to tools and techniques likely to
be useful for analysis of data from the future Square Kilometre Array.
Participants will also be introduced to the Pawsey Supercomputing
Centre, part of which is dedicated to the reduction and analysis of
radio astronomy data.

The 2018 ICRAR/CASS Radio School is aimed at PhD students and
postdoctoral researchers in astronomy. The format of the School will be
similar to previous CASS Radio Schools, with a mix of lectures and
practical sessions. No prior experience with radio interferometry is
required.

The registration fee will be AUD 300 and will cover lunches, tea/coffee,
the conference dinner, and a day trip to the Murchison Radio-astronomy
Observatory, the site of ASKAP, MWA, EDGES, and the future home of the
low-frequency component of the SKA.

For more information on the School and the registration form, please see
the official Radio School website:

   https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/WqelCANZvPiJD00jcGfZW5?domain=icrar.org

A poster advertising the school is attached to this announcement. We
would appreciate it if you could forward this email to students and
postdocs at your institute and put the poster up on noticeboards.

Please don’t hesitate to contact either Tobias Westmeier
(tobias.westmeier at icrar.org) or any other member of the SOC if you have
any questions or enquiries regarding the School.

Best wishes,

   Tobias Westmeier
   on behalf of the SOC

Tobias Westmeier
Senior Research Fellow

ICRAR M468
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009
Australia

Telephone: +61 (0)8 6488 4592
E-mail:    tobias.westmeier at uwa.edu.au
Website:   https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/v4NdCBNZwLiJLqqvc6VihG?domain=atnf.csiro.au

ICRAR: Discovering the hidden Universe through radio astronomy
Web: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KOgpCD1jy9tr8ppXhAsLon?domain=icrar.org