[ASA] Observing Programmes Committee nominations

Caroline Foster caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au
Mon Jun 4 10:08:12 AEST 2018

Dear fellow astronomers,

Please forward the following to relevant people within or beyond your institute.

ESO has issued a call for nominations to serve on the Observing Programmes Committee (i.e. the ESO “TAC”). As the ESO Users Committee representative, it is my role to nominate suitable and willing Australian astronomers.

Details and guidelines are attached. The OPC meets twice a year in Garching, Germany at ESO’s expense. Selected panel and committee members will need to carefully review several tens of proposals each and grade around 100 proposals at the meeting based on the discussions. This is a significant amount of work and time. For this reason, people typically serve on the OPC for 2 consecutive periods (1 year).

It is in Australia’s best interest to have as many Australian astronomers on the various OPC panels, which cover a range of science topics. I am looking for a varied pool of Australian astronomers who are in their second postdoc or beyond to nominate. Exceptional junior postdocs may also be considered.

People who have been nominated in the past but have not been selected to be on the OPC are still in the pool for this round. If you would like me to nominate you or someone else, please email me. Nominations can occur at any time, but if you would like to be considered for this round, please email me by the end of today (sorry about the short notice). Also please include the OPC category that best represents your research expertise: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gk7OCP7yOZtAv7A2TzDv_X?domain=eso.org.

Clear Skies!

Caroline
--
Dr Caroline Foster | ASTRO3D Fellow
The University of Sydney

360B, A28 | The University of Sydney | NSW |
+61 286 276 411  | +61 430 453 532
caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au<mailto:caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au>  | www.carofoster.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LWPoCQnzP0t4B54KHPZvlb?domain=carofoster.com>

Office days: Monday (@USyd), Tuesday (@AAO), Thursday, Friday (@USyd)

INSPIRED – the Campaign to support the University of Sydney
sydney.edu.au/inspired<http://sydney.edu.au/inspired>

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this email if necessary.