[ASA] Sixth Annual GMT Community Science Meeting, Stars: Birth and Death, Sept. 13-15, 2018

Sarah Brough s.brough at unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 27 11:47:04 AEDT 2018

Dear All,

As AAL's Giant Magellan Telescope SAC representative I would like to
draw your attention to the Sixth Annual GMT Community Science Meeting,
Stars: Birth and Death being held at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki
in Hawaii on Sept. 13-15, 2018.

The goal with these annual meetings is to bring people together across
the community to hear about the most exciting current research and think
about the next big questions in the field. An introduction and current
status of the GMT will be presented to kick off the meeting. We look
forward to a good representation of our GMT community and the broader
community. Partial travel reimbursement may be provided for graduate
students and postdoctoral researchers.

Please visit the website, https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/SHdAC5QZ29FwK7VEHzjHq4?domain=gmtconference.org, for more
details. In particular, the meeting overview describes the meeting in
more detail: While stars spend most of their lives as stable,
fusion-powered objects, stellar birth and death involve some of the most
dramatic and diverse physical processes known to astrophysicists.
Stellar beginnings are shrouded in dust and difficult to observe, and
the next generation of large telescopes will offer transformative
opportunities to understand this first chapter of the star formation
story. Stellar death is often explosive, and a burgeoning swell of data
on transient objects offers great opportunities for advancing our
understanding of the last chapter of the stellar story. This conference
brings together experts in the fields of star formation and stellar
disruptions, eruptions and explosions. We will focus on key open
questions that can be solved in the upcoming era of extremely large
telescopes.

Best regards,
Sarah

--