[ASA] Harley Wood Winter School SOC - call for nominations

Colin Jacobs colinjacobs at swin.edu.au
Wed Jan 31 17:38:05 AEDT 2018

Dear ASA Members,

We are organising the 2018 Harley Wood Winter School which will be held from 21st - 24th June this year in Ballarat, Victoria. We are looking for student members to join the Scientific Organising Committee.

The SOC is responsible for the program of talks and workshops which will allow student members of the ASA to build skills, knowledge and networks to assist in their research and career development. This year's theme is "Big Data" and we anticipate some interesting speakers and hands-on skill development will result. We need your help, alongside the local organising committee, in making sure the scientific program is as fun, relevant and interesting as it can be.

Please consider nominating one or more students, including yourself, for membership of the SOC.  Members will be selected based on the information provided in the nomination form. The selection process will take into account the following:

  *   nominee's gender
  *   whether or not the nominee is a member of one or more minority groups (please include this information in your answer to the above question)
  *   nominee's institution (to ensure representation of a range of institutions, especially those that have not had representation in recent  years)
  *   nominee's research area (to ensure representation of as many distinct research areas as possible)

The nomination form can be accessed here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Y_pnCBNZwLiMDWm2hzliMD?domain=docs.google.com

We aim for the SOC to be representative of the diversity within the Australian astronomical community, so we particularly encourage nominations of students who would help create a balanced panel.

The applications will be closing at 5 pm on Thursday 8th February.

Thanks for helping make this year's HWWS a success!

Regards,

Colin Jacobs
Swinburne University of Technology