[ASA] Fwd: GMTO Newsletter - December 2017

Matthew Colless matthew.colless at anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 8 11:47:14 AEDT 2017

Some important updates on GMT here!

Begin forwarded message:

From: Giant Magellan Telescope Organization <gmtadmin at gmto.org<mailto:gmtadmin at gmto.org>>
Subject: GMTO Newsletter - December 2017
Date: 8 December 2017 at 06:22:52
To: <director.rsaa at anu.edu<mailto:director.rsaa at anu.edu>>

To view this email in your browser click here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/V81oBdUVlpWvUv?domain=campaign.r20.constantcontact.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/5vY4BRfZlro3i8?domain=files.constantcontact.com]

GMTO Newsletter - December 2017

Welcome to the December newsletter

As we approach the end of 2017 we are happy to report that GMTO and its founder community are ending the year on a strong note - several strong notes to be precise! As you can read below, GMTO President Dr. Robert N. Shelton, the GMTO Board and Founders are delighted to welcome Arizona State University to the team. The School of Earth and Space Exploration at ASU conducts groundbreaking research in areas that are central to the mission of the GMT.

In early November the team at the Richard F. Caris Mirror Lab cast the 5th GMT primary mirror segment. Visitors to the casting were able to see three other GMT mirrors in various stages of production at the lab.

Prof. Cláudia Mendez de Oliveira, from the University of São Paulo, Brazil, joined the Board of Directors in October. She is a Professor of Astronomy and an expert in what happens when galaxies collide. You can read her profile below. In addition, Vice President for Development, Jennifer Eccles, provided her perspective on science philanthropy for Giving Tuesday - a link to her post is below.

Finally, if you are planning to attend the 231st American Astronomical Society meeting in January, please join us at our Open House on January 9, and visit us at our booth.

Remember you can always keep up to date with what's happening at GMTO from our website, gmto.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gn9mBLUe710NSx?domain=r20.rs6.net>, or from our presence on social media.

Read the whole newsletter here.<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oDLWBaTV0xq9U9?domain=r20.rs6.net>

-Dr. Patrick McCarthy

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AG1ZBkTmNJ4etN?domain=files.constantcontact.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/38L3BqUDvZ0JFg?domain=r20.rs6.net>

Arizona State University Joins the GMT Project

On November 29, 2017, GMTO announced that Arizona State University has joined the international consortium to build the Giant Magellan Telescope. Read more...<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/38L3BqUDvZ0JFg?domain=r20.rs6.net>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/q0YwBQfk4G91Hm?domain=files.constantcontact.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/44GqB7U5kGKAHb?domain=r20.rs6.net>

Telescope Mount Stage 1 contracts awarded

GMTO is pleased to announce that two contracts have been awarded this week to advance the design of the Giant Magellan Telescope mount, leading to a final selection next year of the contractor to fabricate and deliver the structure. Read more...<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/44GqB7U5kGKAHb?domain=r20.rs6.net>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/drxzBeuWvOKAt1?domain=files.constantcontact.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Db1pBJUXGk8AIe?domain=r20.rs6.net>

GMT Casts Fifth Mirror

On November 4, 2017, the team at the Richard F. Caris Mirror Lab at the University of Arizona cast the fifth of seven 8.4-meter mirrors for the GMT. Read more...<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Db1pBJUXGk8AIe?domain=r20.rs6.net>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/87W8BlU9a4rdc8?domain=files.constantcontact.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Qv1bBRfl6qLoFN?domain=r20.rs6.net>

New Board member: Cláudia Mendez de Oliveira

We are pleased to welcome Cláudia Mendez de Oliveira as our newest member of the GMTO Board of Directors. Prof. Mendez de Oliveira is Professor of Astronomy at the University of São Paulo, Brazil. For this newsletter, she answered some questions about her life and career.

Read the Q&A here...<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Qv1bBRfl6qLoFN?domain=r20.rs6.net>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xMnXB1UK89grSz?domain=files.constantcontact.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/M41aBLUKzNZMSN?domain=r20.rs6.net>

GMT Open House at 231st American Astronomical Society meeting

GMTO will be attending the 231st AAS meeting in January 2018. As well as hosting a booth in the exhibit hall, GMTO will be holding an Open House on Tuesday, January 9, from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm in room National Harbor 13. Join us to hear an update on the project's progress and enjoy complimentary refreshments.

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Ov16BlfDrqkeFv?domain=files.constantcontact.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9OVQB5UE630Die?domain=r20.rs6.net>

Science Philanthropy

Vice President for Development at GMTO, Jennifer Eccles, shares her thoughts on the science philanthropy landscape today.

Read the post here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9OVQB5UE630Die?domain=r20.rs6.net>

GMTO Corporation | +1 626 204 0500 | Email us<mailto:info at gmto.org> | gmto.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gn9mBLUe710NSx?domain=r20.rs6.net>

STAY CONNECTED:

[Like us on Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/z4nRBmUxoGAXUR?domain=r20.rs6.net>

[Follow us on Twitter]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/rNKaBYf7ngAxiD?domain=r20.rs6.net>

[View our profile on LinkedIn]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZXg4BxUwJgpWtr?domain=r20.rs6.net>
        [View on Instagram] <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/m4kKB9Uk9onpHa?domain=r20.rs6.net>
        [View our videos on YouTube] <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/krZGBXuZ4YlRiA?domain=r20.rs6.net>

GMTO Corporation, 465 N. Halstead St., Suite 250, Pasadena, CA 91107

Forward this email<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Ld1wBKUnabreUR?domain=ui.constantcontact.com> | Update Profile<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GN1YBofWKDM4tL?domain=visitor.constantcontact.com> | About our service provider<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/YZ5qB0ugKWkJcE?domain=constantcontact.com>

Sent by gmtadmin at gmto.org<mailto:gmtadmin at gmto.org> in collaboration with

[Constant Contact]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/K410BnUKkYzeSo?domain=constantcontact.com>

Try it free today<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/K410BnUKkYzeSo?domain=constantcontact.com>

Professor Matthew Colless <matthew.colless at anu.edu.au<mailto:matthew.colless at anu.edu.au>>
Director, Research School of Astronomy & Astrophysics
The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Work: +61-2-6125-0266 Mobile:+61-431-898-345