[ASA] ANITA lecture tomorrow - Correlations, power spectra and Gaussian random fields

Daniel Price daniel.price at monash.edu
Thu May 4 21:32:10 AEST 2017

Dear ASA members,

A reminder that the next lecture in the 2017 ANITA lecture series will be broadcast LIVE tomorrow (Friday 5th May) from ICRAR. It will be 12:30-1:30pm Western time (which should be 2:30-3:30pm on the East coast).

This talk naturally follows on from Danail’s lecture on Fourier analysis given a few weeks ago (which is already hosted on the ANITA site at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFhNHpE9xwo) and from David Parkinson’s wonderful lecture on Gaussian process modelling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkYQZI6neMY)

Don’t miss it!

Daniel (on behalf of Aaron Robotham and the ANITA steering committee)

——————

Details:

Location:		ICRAR/UWA Ground floor seminar room

Time:		12:30-1:30pm WA time

Live stream:	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9I3bJDRJ0

Speaker: 		Cullan Howlett

Title:		Correlations, power spectra and Gaussian random fields

Abstract:		Measuring the spatial and temporal correlations between observables in our Universe enables us to understand the physics driving these phenomena. Examples include measurements of the correlation between large-scale galaxy positions, between the locations of star-forming regions inside individual galaxies and of the time/frequency dependence of transients. In this lecture, I will introduce the concept of correlation, the correlation function and why this is such a powerful tool. An example of how to estimate this from a cosmological point of view will be given. I’ll then present the Fourier counterpart to the correlation function, the power spectrum, and detail how this can be measured, including the effects of aliasing, finite sampling and window functions. I’ll finish with a brief overview of higher order clustering statistics.

——————

More details of the 2017 lecture series at:

http://anita.edu.au/lectures/

——————